What is the best full-range driver? - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th January 2013, 03:05 PM   #81
diyAudio Member

thunk303, that's really useful, thanks. Can I ask what enclosures you used for the 7.3s?
Old 18th January 2013, 12:42 AM   #82
diyAudio Member

The best full-range driver is the one you like the best!

Larry
Old 18th January 2013, 02:56 AM   #83
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

Welll ...Lowthers despite their massive Alnico motors and myriad followers are, in real life Mediocre performers . Failing to meet owners expectations.. for Decades.
But Hey the standard excuse is: It's all because the Enclosure was not right.. My ***!
Buy a pair build several 'enclosures' and discover this for yourself.
Having said : IMO anything Less than a Lowther is just a sad joke, perpertuted on the naive by those with a Need to sell Product.
Teeny Tiny drivers are honestly described as sad... Tiny tinny sounds. Gee who woulda thought?
But hey! IF you install them in overly complex Gargantua Boxes they can start to sound like slightly larger drivers.
But hey! Fill yer boots wasting your time and $$$ discovering all this for yourselves.
Old 18th January 2013, 03:04 AM   #84
adamt is offline adamt  Australia
diyAudio Member

For me, its about driver synergy with your partnering audio system.

I have Fostex Fe208e sigmas in D58es horns with which sound great. I am running them with a T90a super tweet and 0.68uF cap first order. My amp is a type 45 tube generating 1.8 to 4W per side and a Rega Jupiter cd player or Heybrook TT2 with Micro Benz Ace cart. My room is 13 feet by 25 by 9, and it goes loud enough to have a dance party on new years eve.....

You can see that my sources could be categorised as 'warm' or 'smooth'. When partnered with the 208 horns the sound is wonderful.

However, I have tried a EL34 pentode amp, and a Sugden a21a, and a Arcam CD in all cases you would run from the room with a piercing trebble like someone shoved a pencil in your ear and turned it slowly around.

I previously had the Fe206e with a similar shrill experience. Could not wait to get rid of it and tell all and sundry it is a crap driver.

So the learning for me in my journey is to think 'system synergy' not ''individual drivers'' when contemplating the single driver speaker route...

Adam
Old 18th January 2013, 03:20 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Welll ...Lowthers despite their massive Alnico motors and myriad followers are, in real life Mediocre performers . Failing to meet owners expectations.. for Decades.
But Hey the standard excuse is: It's all because the Enclosure was not right.. My ***!
Having said : IMO anything Less than a Lowther is just a sad joke, perpertuted on the naive by those with a Need to sell Product.
Teeny Tiny drivers are honestly described as sad... Tiny tinny sounds. Gee who woulda thought?
But hey! IF you install them in overly complex Gargantua Boxes they can start to sound like slightly larger drivers.
But hey! Fill yer boots wasting your time and $$$ discovering all this for yourselves.

So, having used this thread to rant against Lowther (I can't say I like for their products myself, but to each their own) is there anything you do actually like?
Old 18th January 2013, 03:22 AM   #86
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
There you go again, making it seem you are an expert on the subject based on very limited experience.

Everyone told you what was going to happen with your CHP experience, and you are surprised it came true? Quit whining please.

dave
Old 18th January 2013, 03:23 AM   #87
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
So, having used this thread to rant against Lowther (I can't say I like for their products myself, but to each their own) is there anything you do actually like?
I think he likes his 15" Tannoys in the big corner horns.

dave
Old 18th January 2013, 03:33 AM   #88
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
For me, its about driver synergy with your partnering audio system.

I have Fostex Fe208e sigmas in D58es horns with which sound great. I am running them with a T90a super tweet and 0.68uF cap first order. My amp is a type 45 tube generating 1.8 to 4W per side and a Rega Jupiter cd player or Heybrook TT2 with Micro Benz Ace cart. My room is 13 feet by 25 by 9, and it goes loud enough to have a dance party on new years eve.....

You can see that my sources could be categorised as 'warm' or 'smooth'. When partnered with the 208 horns the sound is wonderful.

However, I have tried a EL34 pentode amp, and a Sugden a21a, and a Arcam CD in all cases you would run from the room with a piercing trebble like someone shoved a pencil in your ear and turned it slowly around.

I previously had the Fe206e with a similar shrill experience. Could not wait to get rid of it and tell all and sundry it is a crap driver.

So the learning for me in my journey is to think 'system synergy' not ''individual drivers'' when contemplating the single driver speaker route...
Yup. System matching is a big part of it. And it should be kept in mind that the drivers you mention were designed to be used with high output impedance amplifiers in the first place (confirmed by the man who designed them). If you don't, or don't employ other means of providing similar conditions (some form of Eq, series R or whatever), you're unlikely to hear them at their best.

I'm not a massive fan of the 206, although it's a solid unit of its type. The 208ESigma + suitable supertweeter is one of my favourite wideband units though.
Old 18th January 2013, 03:55 AM   #89
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I think he likes his 15" Tannoys in the big corner horns.
Well I can't say I blame anyone for liking 15in DC Tannoys, but comparing those to far smaller speakers of any kind is a bit like comparing a '66 GTO with a Mini: pointless.

Quote:
Everyone told you what was going to happen with your CHP experience,
Would these perchance be the drive units that had the misfortune to be stuffed apparently at random into a couple of undersized boxes from a Sony minisystem with zero thought given to the alignment, and were then blamed for poor LF performance? And for a lack of HF, despite the data sheet stating it was designed with a shelved down HF, which is also clearly visible in the FR plots? And which were then compared to 15in DC Tannoys? Hmm. While I don't much care for the current CHP (not run solo at least, although I suspect it'd make a decent small midbass), I don't think the finger of blame can be entirely placed upon them if their requirements are ignored, the published FR plots & information about them are ignored, and to cap it all, they are then compared to units approximately ten times their size.

Last edited by Scottmoose; 18th January 2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 18th January 2013, 02:11 PM   #90
Account disabled at member's request

the user just need to know that any 4 inch driver will not give you chess pounding bass, not even close. The bass will be clear, but with not much impact. If you want impact, you have got to go with at least a bigger FR.
also, for my experience. the fe107en sounds much much less refined then the mark audio a12p, the fe107en is okay, but the MA is a good speaker.. I would suggest the op to take the 12p which is 6.5 inch.. Another user in here used to use the a7.2 and he switch to the a12 and report that he prefer the combination. more body in the low mid/midbass...

Last edited by murphythecat8; 18th January 2013 at 02:28 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!