What is the best full-range driver? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2013, 02:03 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Default BMR 4.5 inch Neo efficiency

Hi XRK971

In the real word ( not smoothed manufactures data) the 4.5 inch Neo is 89 dB to 90dB over a broad range of about 130Hz to 10Khz.
It rolls off fairly smoothly below Fs 105Hz ( plus minus about 5% tolerances)
It has a bit of a narrow spike at 8,500 to 9,500 Khz and rolls off quite quickly above 12KHz.
I use Eq to compensate, as as the off axis is so fab and even Eq really works a treat without introducing any off axis peaks and troughs.

I hope other guys try this driver, esp your " flat on wall horn"!!

Cheers
Derek.
Old 13th January 2013, 04:40 PM   #42
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
I wish you can figure out what model number that LG is, someone on eBay must have it.
LG - 6400WTTCO3A. I don't think you can buy them other than in a completed speaker. They came with a 3" PR in the box. Dumb design but nice driver.
Quote:
surprised that you like it more than the FF125wk in the bigger Cornucopya.
Only because of the midrange and up. They can't compete with the bass of the 125.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleJohn View Post
Doesn't say much for the likes of Markaudio or Jordan.
Don't get me wrong. I have been very impressed with the Mark Audio stuff but I only own the EL70 and I find that a little confined in the top end. Some people think they are the cat's meow and I won't argue. I just need a little more on top to keep my ears happy.
I only own the Jordan 6T so I can't say that's a fair comparison. I can tell you that it's not my cup of tea. They sound coloured to my ears.
Quote:
Could you give any more clues about the Sansui? I'm looking for an all-rounder.
For the last however many years, I've thought of it as a Sansui but looking at the pic...it's also one of the salvaged drivers so you wouldn't be able to buy it off the shelf. Really nice all around driver though. I think I like it more than the RS1354.
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
He is probably talking about the F10.
See the pic. Maybe you guys can sort out what it actually is. It's at the other place so I can't go look at it right now. Inverted rubber surround and plastic dust cap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8003.jpg (69.5 KB, 698 views)
Old 13th January 2013, 06:12 PM   #43
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleJohn View Post
Just out of interest, as I know you supply drivers, what do you reckon is the best one that you sell, for mid-range and upper smoothness, and good vocals?
Alpair 7.3eN closely followed by FF85wKeN, with the latter bass assistance is really needed.

dave
Old 15th January 2013, 01:52 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

The Jordan JX92 (or at least the EAD E100, and is that the same thing?) would seem to have a much flatter response curve than any of the Mark Audio drivers (except for some rather severe looking dips in the top end which only show up off-axis). Is this flatness reflected in the sound?
Old 15th January 2013, 02:34 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

There is only one way to find out, buy them and listen! In all fairness to manufacturers if they showed real world frequency graphs no one would buy there products!
A question to CastleJohn, has this thread gotten you any closer to an answer to your original question? Or helped you make a decision on which driver to purchase?

Larry
Old 15th January 2013, 02:59 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

Well I'm not sure about that, Larry. It looks like if I want the smoothest mids & highs then I need to look at something like planet 10's MA Alpair 7.3eN ($290/pair). But I wonder whether they'll fill out the bass sufficiently without building massive horns for them. I would ideally like to just stick them in a straightforward ported box, or possibly a TL. And then there is the EAD E100 or E100HD ($330 or $360/pair). I'd love to hear from someone who has heard both, and is into classical music, both recorded and live.
Old 15th January 2013, 05:27 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

I've had an idea. Why don't I buy a pair of second-hand e.g. Rogers floorstanders and rip out the tweeter replacing it with an Alpair or Jordan? With an active x-over at about 200Hz and bi-amping, what would that sound like?
Old 15th January 2013, 05:34 PM   #48
diyAudio Member

That would sound great! That's what's called a FAST around here. See this thread: A thread for Tysen and variations on FAST

And I just started this thread to discuss more about woofers and cross overs specific to this design approach: Cross Over design and Woofer choices for FAST
Old 15th January 2013, 07:01 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

CastleJohn,

For what is worth the going price for a pair of Mark Alpair 7.3 in the US from Madisound is $170. Is Enabling worth $120? Not to me.

Jim
Old 15th January 2013, 07:38 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Griffin View Post
CastleJohn,

For what is worth the going price for a pair of Mark Alpair 7.3 in the US from Madisound is $170. Is Enabling worth $120? Not to me.

Jim
I want the very best mid/top end possible, within a few hundred dollars. I agree the benefit of Enabling is doubtful (after all, you can spend $1000 on a kettle lead if you want to). Furthermore, metal cones fill me with intrepidation. Which probably sways me more towards the Jordan JX92S (EAD E100HD).

Hide this!Advertise here!