What is the best full-range driver? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2013, 07:25 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Prepare for the MA vs Jordan debate
I doubt it.
Old 11th January 2013, 07:27 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleJohn View Post
Thanks Groundloops, I can't immediately see a price or supplier of the Jordan JX92, where do you buy them in Europe?
You can order them from http://www.eadsweden.com/drive-units/

It's the E100 or E100HD.
Old 11th January 2013, 07:32 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I share CastleJohn's dislike for the FE126. Many Fostexes share that forward character. However I found the FF125WK a lot richer sounding (and will use a pair for a small office room system), but it is not the overall best either. Well, as others have noted, best is debatable.

My recommendation would be the Markaudio A12P. I bought a pair after a demo in the SuperPensil cabinet, which is even not the ideal cabinet for it (it was designed for the A12). I found the A12P remarkably musical, nice on voices, and also great sounding at low volumes. I have previously heard and admired some top flight full rangers from AER and Voxativ, yet the A12P is so good that you can ask yourself "why pay more". It is on a higher class than all Fostexes that I've heard (and I heard most of them), except for an impressive limited edition that I heard in Japan.

The A12P won't have the deepest bass but in a nice enclosure it will definitely have enough bass.
Old 11th January 2013, 07:48 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Intriguing, cotdt. Which would be more suited to low powered class A amplification?
Old 11th January 2013, 08:38 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

It is possible to get good* sounds out of FE126s. Mine are fully cone treated, phase plugged, have an electrical notch filter centred ~7kHz, and anything <500Hz is taken care of by other drivers.
Given all that pampering, they can play almost anything I throw at them, with one caveat: when you turn the volume control up, they end up louder than the woofers. Turn the dials and rebalance everything, and all is well up to rather loud levels (for a teenager: probably >100dB peaks).

Of course, this usage is hardly "full-range". For that, I'd say some of Mark Audio's new drivers are very good. Or, the Fostex FF225wk (the 8" new one), once backed with a supertweeter, is also very good, and can summon dynamics that smaller drivers never will.

*IMHO

Chris
Old 11th January 2013, 08:43 PM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleJohn View Post
Intriguing, cotdt. Which would be more suited to low powered class A amplification?

Much of Mark's engineering on the Alpair 12P was targeted to meet requests for higher sensitivity than his previous drivers. I think the consensus is that he quite succeeded, but not without the penalty of requiring larger enclosure volumes than other of his drivers can thrive in.

It is certainly far smoother than any of the approximately equivalent & affordable Fostex full-rangers ( F200A is in a class by itself), many of which need enclosures of equal or even larger size and complexity (i.e. BLH etc) to deliver their full potential.

When you say "low level Class A amplification" exactly what type ( SS or Tube) and power levels do you mean? For a lot of folks anything less than 30W would be considered inadequate even with a speaker in the 95dB or higher sensitivity range, while other folks would be quite comfortable with a 3-8W DHT.

Depending on the application and venue, a decent full range driver of medium to higher sensitivity is certainly adequate for a lot of domestic listeners in the single digit power range - whether or not those same systems would outdo "studio monitors" (in what regard precisely?) could be an interesting conversation.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:46 PM   #17
hesener is offline hesener  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Boy, did you open up a can of worms in a forum like this with this loaded question!

I suspect that most folks in this forum will agree that for natural vocals (and you made it easy by saying bass extension is not an issue), a well-designed full range speaker is superior to almost any 2-way studio monitor with its need for a cross-over that lies right where the vocal range is.
second that.... check out Seas F8 which i run in open baffle, and a small inductor parallel with a resistor (sorry the values escape me right now), and they fit the bill, with the exception of the price maybe ;-(
Old 11th January 2013, 08:51 PM   #18
cotdt is offline cotdt  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to cotdt
I run my A12P with 2W SET amp using 45 as output tube. In a small room, it gets really loud. And yes, it sounds breathtaking. The first time I listened to the A12P, I cried.
Old 11th January 2013, 08:54 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

CSS EL70, of course.

Best FR ever. Hands down. Nothing comes close.

Last edited by cogitech; 11th January 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11th January 2013, 09:01 PM   #20
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Just goes to show how we are all individuals. Don't get me wrong, I do like them. I have the EL70's in the FH3 boxes and they are about 4th in line of ones I own.

Hide this!Advertise here!