What is the best full-range driver? - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2013, 01:18 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Anyone who considers a speaker build a waste of time and money, simply because the result is not "perfect", should find a new hobby.
Old 18th January 2013, 02:08 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

If anyone is holding out for perfection, they'll be waiting a heck of a long time.
Old 18th January 2013, 03:18 PM   #93
diyAudio Member

Same can be said about relationships.

Btw, I haven't been able to listen to music on my stereo for several months. Little earbuds suffice... but they do not recreate the 'space' of the performance. Singers reside within your head rather than in front of you floating in space. Apparently, many of these earbuds use single, full range drivers.

Regardless, I miss my system and the way the music FEELS.

The best full range drivers are the one that give you goosebumps... the ones that let you relax and forget about caps and coils... the ones you can afford and the ones that make you want to listen to music. You must consider the space you will be listening as well as the rest of your gear. There is no absolute best. Sometimes I can't wait to listen to cheap Dayton's in BIBs (which totally satisfy) or expensive Fostex in elaborate back horns (which could sound magical sometimes). Experimentation with different cabinets/enclosures helps each of us find our favorites regardless of opinions.

I've built things I haven't liked but never blame the designer. Their efforts are free in most cases and their excitement is contagious which helps move this hobby along.

Zilla
Old 18th January 2013, 05:12 PM   #94
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Lowthers despite their massive Alnico motors and myriad followers are, in real life Mediocre performers . Failing to meet owners expectations.. for Decades.
I love my Lowthers.

Old 18th January 2013, 05:28 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Since this thread has very little chance of having the original question answered with any kind of consensus, a better question, perhaps, is "What is the best bang-for-buck full range driver?"

Criteria: reasonably consistent reproduction of the full (audible) audio spectrum (when installed in a suitable enclosure) at SPL sufficient for the majority of listeners - at the lowest price point.
Old 18th January 2013, 06:00 PM   #96
Octavia is offline Octavia  United States
diyAudio Member

Best bang for the buck? Still depends on the preferences of the banger! Not to mention how well all the little "bangettes were executed that will make the whole thing sing. Having said that, ahem, if you say, one driver only, not FAST allowed, no supertweets allowed, and heaven forbid - no response shaping crossover, then (and only then), those MA Alpair 10.2's on sale look pretty BANGING to me. But then what do I know I'm usually listening to my AN12-FAST set up or QUAD 63's.
Old 18th January 2013, 06:13 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

In simple ported or sealed boxes, my experience is:

Pioneer B20, IMO is best bang for buck... but needs a super tweeter.
TB 1808 is very good in a simple sealed box but is too expensive.
TB 1320 is very good in small ported box but missing bass and a bit veiled.
Fostex 168z is very good in large ported box but also expensive.

All of the other drivers I've used require (IMO) either bass or treble support (or both) and something more elaborate than a simple sealed or ported box to sound their best and as good as the ones listed above. Once you begin to look at alternate cabinets the results completely change. That's what makes this a fun and interesting hobby.

Zilla
Old 18th January 2013, 06:50 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Ok, Zilla, so how about: simple cabs, medium difficulty cabs and hard cabs.

Also: small, medium and large!

Or ... cheap <$100, medium up to $500 and pricey $500+/driver.

PS Expecting some sort of consensus ... well, as much as could be expected!
Old 18th January 2013, 07:04 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

I've enjoyed JBL LE8T-H drivers and put a dozen in some really dense matrix-braced stuffed sealed assymetrical-geometry cabinets once (long stage footlight-type stage monitor or could be stood up as a line source). With lots of EQ it was impressive.

but the foam surounds make them a bad investment. I'm disgusted with the amount of money I've lost on JBL and Bose surrounds that disintegrate.
Old 19th January 2013, 01:12 AM   #100
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Welll ...Lowthers despite their massive Alnico motors and myriad followers are, in real life Mediocre performers . Failing to meet owners expectations.. for Decades.
But Hey the standard excuse is: It's all because the Enclosure was not right.. My ***!
Buy a pair build several 'enclosures' and discover this for yourself.
Having said : IMO anything Less than a Lowther is just a sad joke, perpertuted on the naive by those with a Need to sell Product.
Teeny Tiny drivers are honestly described as sad... Tiny tinny sounds. Gee who woulda thought?
But hey! IF you install them in overly complex Gargantua Boxes they can start to sound like slightly larger drivers.
But hey! Fill yer boots wasting your time and $$$ discovering all this for yourselves.
Lowthers are not fullrange drivers, but real mid-range driver with famous reputation originated from horns application.
Instead I would prefer a B200 in a 100 Litres box, or a helper woofer.
SMALL WOOFER

Last edited by FullRangeMan; 19th January 2013 at 01:20 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!