What is the best full-range driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I was being pretty sarcastic there, Cal.

My bad, Cogi,

With how serious many people tend to be on the issue, I let that zoom clear over my head without touching a hair.

Yes please, more emoticons. Jumping monkeys are my favourite. :)

Also, I was being a little bit of a fibber myself. I wrote them down and see there are 5 I like more than the EL70.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
My bad, Cogi,

With how serious many people tend to be on the issue, I let that zoom clear over my head without touching a hair.

Yes please, more emoticons. Jumping monkeys are my favourite. :)

Also, I was being a little bit of a fibber myself. I wrote them down and see there are 5 I like more than the EL70.

:)

10 years from now, when I have built 1/10th the number of full range projects that you have, I will likely have 3 or 4 that I like better than the EL70, too.

:Popworm: :wave: :cheers:

I'll add another voice to sing the praises of the JX92.

In my opinion they are the drivers with the least compromise. I have mine in the Jordan reference VTL enclosure and they continue to blow my mind every time I use them.

And no, they aren't bare MDF I swear! I stained them in walnut and I think they came out quite nice.

Attachments

• IMG_1455.jpg
    IMG_1455.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 2,318
I've tried Fostex FE126Ens and found them a waste of time. Full of nasties all over the mid to high end. Is there any full-range driver which could give a decent pair of dual-driver speakers (such as my Spendor SP2/2s) a run for their money? All I'm interested in is naturalness of sound, particularly voices, and I'm not too worried about bass extension. Be honest folks, can single drivers really outdo conventional studio monitor speakers?

Well I can say this that is the same thing the fe208e did to me. So I bought and used the fe 126en drivers. Yes they have thier problems but, I have learned that if you build a right box around them most of the nasties can go away. I have built a box around the fe126en drivers very nice. Also I have had the mark audio alpair 6-p drivers nice but, no bass and to soft on the top end needs a super tweeter. I still think the speakers to beat is the ff85wk and the fe108ez speakers but, what do I know? C.R.

OK, 'fess up Cal. What is your Fab Five lineup then? :D

This is primarily because of what they do in the midrange and up. The EL70 excels in the bass. I find the upper frequencies a bit clouded.
In no particular order, and I don't have some of the #'s here

3" LG - the one in the small Cornucopya
6" Sansui - best all around driver
5.25" RS 1354 - sentimental value
4" Coral holey version of the F103 - vocals unbeaten
4" Foster 10F3 - good vocals

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Cal,,
Thanks for sharing. Lot's of oldie but goodies there. :)
Just because a driver is newer or more expensive doesn't always mean it's better to our ears. I wish you can figure out what model number that LG is, someone on eBay must have it. I am real curious and surprised that you like it more than the FF125wk in the bigger Cornucopya.
The big test is it puts a smile on your face when you listen to it, and you don't want to stop.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Could you give any more clues about the Sansui?

He is probably talking about the F10. Sort of a last kick at the can just as the world was transitioning to mostly multiways. A very fine driver. Probably built be Atomix.

323535d1358074329-what-best-full-range-driver-atomixsansuif10.jpg

dave

Attachments

• atomixSansuiF10.jpg
    atomixSansuiF10.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3,200
  • atomixSansui-F10-7FRaw.jpg
    atomixSansui-F10-7FRaw.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,884
  • F10whizzers.jpg
    F10whizzers.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,818
  • atomix-F10-7FRaw-imp.gif
    atomix-F10-7FRaw-imp.gif
    13 KB · Views: 1,724
$1,000 a pair- best "full range" sound?

Hi Castle John,

This is a great question and its good to keep asking at as technology is always evolving, and sometimes even improving!
In my experience over the last 15 years the Manger Driver (approx $1,600 a pair so over budget) was / is king of the single driver hill, but only if you can afford to build the right cabinet and a great crossover.
Also the Mangers astonishing sonic performance above 200Hz ( 400Hz if you want high SPL) falls apart if you allow anything below 200Hz to reach it...So its really a two way design not a full ranger with a sub.

But over the last 2 years I have been searching for a lower ( mass market) priced alternative to the Manger.
Fostex and Lowether rip my ears to pieces when they are asked to play complex music at any medium to high SPL...Jordan were better but still very thin and "washed out" compared to good paper cones and AMT tweeters, and just edgy and aggressive compared to the Manger.

To my ears The new king of the hill is the 4.5 inch Neo BMR from Hi Wave.
It was only $60 at Parts Express a couple of years ago, then the $ of Neo magnets went up by about 300%...Parts Express discontinued the driver and now only sell the small 2 and 3 inch ferrite BMR's which are pretty crap!

I have attached a couple of pics of the BMR in an 8 driver line array, they are hung on wall and sound really beautiful run 100% full range, no sub(!) and no crossover. I use a bit of Eq with JRiver / JPlay but even that is just the icing on a fundamentaly sweet and tasty cake... Highly recomended audio feast!!

Attachments

• HTC 23 Feb 2012 258.jpg
    HTC 23 Feb 2012 258.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 374
  • HTC 23 Feb 2012 268.jpg
    HTC 23 Feb 2012 268.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Overkill Encore two way.jpg
    Overkill Encore two way.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 378
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.