Enabled 126en or Sigma 108 in frugalhorn?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, being new to speaker building I have been lurking for a while and mostly reading reading reading. The breadth and depth of knowledge here never ceases to amaze me. My first construction was the quick and easy open baffle documented elsewhere on the forum and I have really been enjoying those. I have built a set of Frugal horns (v3 with the supra baffle) with a set of Alpair 7 and while sounding good have been more than a little fragile. I have now cracked my second speaker installing it even though I was extra careful installing it. I know how to be mechanically sympathetic and yet it still cracked a second time while mounting it. At this point, I'm more than a little disgusted and am not going down that road again and want a speaker with a metal chassis. So it begs the question, do I replace them with enabled Fe126en's or non enabled sigma 108's? (would love some enabled 108's but I've blown my budget whilst replacing the Alpairs) :( Any and all opinions welcome,
-andre-

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Consider me predudiced.

I've only compared EnABLed FE108 to EnABLed FE126 in FH3, prefer the latter. 108 is a tiny bit better thru the mids, not as good in the bottom or the top. Neither would be a hardship. Our FE108 currntly in Aiko where they really shine.

dave

Me too on the A7. I've seen 2 broken... one where the smoke was let out, andthe other with the cone turned inside out. I could also imagine that if you reefed down on the fixinf screws you could crush the basket.

The outer ring cracked where one of the mounting screws was positioned. Like I said, I was extra-careful this time round as I had done this once before. I had everything apart as I was finishing the speaker and previously had everything assembled and working. The only thing I can think of is that the pilot holes I had marked and drilled were slightly off-center and were putting the basket under some torsional load as I was tightening it.

Can anyone think of a neat project to do with a single Alpair-7?

That being said, I think I am coming to the conclusion however that there is... no replacement for displacement. I have the Frugalhorns pushed into corners in my bedroom and they sound great but don't compare to the open baffles in terms of dynamics. Can't expect a 4in speaker to displace the same amount of air as a 12in one. My next construction will be either something along the lines of a 6 or an 8 inch Bib or horn or... a 15in open baffle perhaps using the AN15 driver. We'll see.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.