Full range speakers hardwired into TV

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have an older 40 in LCD Samsung display in my living room that I do no use with a external sound system. I always hated how the internal speakers sounded. Last week, pulled out the specs of the internal speakers : 8 ohms /10 watts. I realised I had a pair of fullrange speakers that fit exacly does numbers : 5 liter vented box with TangBang 3 1/2 inch bamboo paper cones. I hacked the back panel of the TV and pulled out the wire leads of the internal speakers and connected them to my fullranges. It works very well, but the external speakers are not very forgiving of the low quality of the TV's amp.

Anyone ever tried that?

Hi,

I've done it with all my TV's, back to the mono days. The speakers
don't have to be particular good, just suit the purpose quite well,
to give a relatively huge improvement over the TV speakers.

rgds, sreten.

Though I've used allsorts for the job, not just fullrangers.

Last edited:
I do it with my Visio LCD that's about 5 years old. I would use the RCA outs, but I recall that there's a problem with them - they don't pass through every input or you can't control the volume, I don't remember which. So I just installed a DPDT switch and jack in-line with each speaker and a pair of co-ax plugs out the back of the TV. I have a couple of cables with a coax plug on one end and a pair of bannanna plugs on the other that go to my speakers. The amp in the TV is pretty decent, it puts out a few clean watts which is all that you need for moderate volumes. I can flip between them if I ever sell the TV or if I want to show someone the difference between TV speakers and real speakers. If you look at my post in the Cornu thread you can see my "real" speakers and Cornus flanking my TV.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For this group - to deny it means you're either young or a liar. :)

I am not exactly young but honestly have never tried this :D but could soon try it. I think the chip amps TVs have are probably pretty good for 5 or 8 W. I could attach it to my new foam core floorstanding Vifa's. Those would actually look pretty good next to the TV. Just need to cover it with some sort of cloth. But if the audio line outs work, I would rather just get a cheap 8 W T-amp.

I can remember a Sony XBR of about 20yrs ago that had a very decent Sanken or such "chip" amp on board that didn't embarrass itself with small commercial 2-ways of the day (long before I started in the DIY)

But I think we'd probably find that most current flat-screens would contain amps of approximately the same quality as the speakers.

I can't see a reason to wire the drivers direct if you have line level out.

I've only had about 5 TVs in the past 20yrs since the original XBR described above, but I've yet to see one that didn't allow setting the audio line out to variable ( i.e. controlled by the TV or cable box's remote) Some of them do however take some rather deep drilling down the menu tree to find the appropriate options.

I have a 4 year old RCA TV that the line out is not variable. Not only that but it has no # code that you can set a universal remote for. Nice picture though. In case you are wondering this is the last time I purchased something from Walmart. You can probably google the story on the internet somewhere. RCA TV has no code for universal remotes circa 2009.

Hello,

I have an older 40 in LCD Samsung display in my living room that I do no use with a external sound system. I always hated how the internal speakers sounded. Last week, pulled out the specs of the internal speakers : 8 ohms /10 watts. I realised I had a pair of fullrange speakers that fit exacly does numbers : 5 liter vented box with TangBang 3 1/2 inch bamboo paper cones. I hacked the back panel of the TV and pulled out the wire leads of the internal speakers and connected them to my fullranges. It works very well, but the external speakers are not very forgiving of the low quality of the TV's amp.

Anyone ever tried that?

Tried it successfully on a Samsung DLP. I don't know what is in yours but the DLP had a Tripath TA2020 amp running on 13.5 Volts. I added an internal / external switch - 4 poles because the Tripath is a bridge amp - and speaker terminal strip on the back and connected to a pair of JBL TLX121s. Decent for TV and much better than the internals. I only mention it in case yours also has a bridge amp and maybe you used ground and 1 lead. That would drop you to 2.5 Watts from 10.

Why don't you use the audio line out and run thru small amp and speakers? Or is the goal to physically replace actual speakers inside tv cabinet?

I did not have a spare amp for this and I don't want to go that way. I just wanted to upgrade the sound of the internal speakers of the TV. (My HT is in another room with another TV)

It does work: there is a major improvement in sound.

The reason I posted this is because I wanted to know if anyone had tips to tweek this sort of "hack".

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.