FH3-inspired Foam Core Mini Build

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi xrk971,

I have seen your first try at a Synergy/Unity horn. Someone posted a link that has a lot of good information as to the location of the speaker entry holes, etc. Good luck with that one, a very interesting design.

I still think a bipole FH3-Inspired would be interesting.

Regards,

I finally got around to building a pair of FH3 Foam Core Mini using Aura ns3-193-8a1 drivers that I had on hand. I basically used the dimensions That X provided a year ago with one modification is that I changed the back of the flared sides to 10" instead of 12.
The build didn't go as well as it should have; they aren't square- more a parallelogram :eek:.
I only had enough felt to cove the back panel and used poly stuffing around the driver.
Sound is fairly good the mid and upper range is very good but lacking a bit in the bass. I'm still messing around with the stuffing as you can see in photo 3.
This is a good fun project- Thanks X for getting this one started :D

cheers

Attachments

• mini.jpg
    mini.jpg
    733.6 KB · Views: 660
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    690.9 KB · Views: 650
  • stuffing.jpg
    stuffing.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 637
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Supersized variant with Dayton PS220-8

I have been looking at a scaled up variant of this speaker using the Dayton PS220-8 8 inch point source driver. I am surprised we don't see more projects around here with this driver which has some very nice specs.

Scaling this speaker by 2.3x all around (almost 6 ft tall x 10.4 in wide internally) you can get some good bass response with the PS220 driver. It will need a BSC circuit though to match the bass with the mids and highs.

Here is what I was able to get with the simulation for a speaker placed 3 ft away from back and side wall in a corner. It is so big I figured you have to put it in a corner to get it out of the way.

Maybe a possibility for a lightweight build with 1 in thick Corning pink XPS foam sheathing? But then a speaker this big with a nice driver deserves wood - although I would hate to have to move it with the full weight.

Sims assume a 1.5mH+10ohm+1uF cap all in parallel and wired in series with driver

Attachments

• Supersize-FH3i-PS220-Freq-1m.png
    Supersize-FH3i-PS220-Freq-1m.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 791
  • Supersize-FH3i-PS220-Impedance.png
    Supersize-FH3i-PS220-Impedance.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 721
  • Supersize-FH3i-PS220-Displ.png
    Supersize-FH3i-PS220-Displ.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 709
Last edited:
No offense at all intended here, but with your permission X, we'd like to develop FH3 in our own way. We're having some problems with confusion regarding what is what and where it's coming from. The enclosure is also rather more complex than it looks in design terms; the dimensions are all functional, and it is not designed using purely plane-wave assumptions. I hasten to add that is not meant to be a reflection on your own speakers etc., nor to imply that what Dave, Chris or I do is 'better', 'worse' or anything else for that matter than your own efforts or those of other people. Just that, as I say, we'd like to develop the box our own way. We can't stop anyone of course -this is a request only.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Scottmoose,

No offense taken and I understand your concern of possible confusion of where the FH3 (and its variants) design is coming from. As my thread title states that it is FH3-inspired, the current supersized sim with the Dayton PS220 is a scaled up version of the small 30 in tall foam core design, and I would imagine is completely different than the designs that you are coming up with. It certainly isn't my intent to say my design is better or anything. I was simply curious what happens when the 30 in tall Vifa box was scaled up by 2.3x and you put the PS220 driver in it.

If you think it would help reduce confusion, we can have a moderator change the thread title from "FH3 inspired foam core mini build" to "Rear facing horn foam core build with the TC9FD".

And I can add the statement that "these designs are NOT in any way approved, endorsed, or connected to Scottmoose, Planet10, or Chrisb."

How does this sound?

Last edited: