Alpair 7.3 HT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
WOW those bi pole MLTL's are gorgeous! Even since I came across Dick Olsher's Samadi design I've been curious about a HT set up that include up firing drivers. I would bet these have a wonderful sense of space and scale. Scott, is there any chance these will be added to your pantheon of designs the rest of us can build? With two Alpair 7.3s my guess is these can really crank without over stressing the drivers. Since it's bipole is baffle step still needed? Any measurements or sims? Congratulations to you both for the design and build.

As of a couple of months ago I could have helped you... but, my computer crashed and all my drawings, calculations and measurements were lost.

Really all I did was make a cabinet with the shape I liked and had the correct volume. I sent the design to Planet 10 and Scott for evaluation... They said it looked OK and helped me with port tuning and also gave me bracing and stuffing advice. They were both extremely helpful and took a lot of time for me...

They sound extremely open with a huge soundstage. I have compared them side by side to many great speakers including Totem Arro's and Selah Audio S6s. Everyone that takes a listen, chooses the Alpair 7.3 towers for their number 1 choice. They also happen to be the least expensive, by far. Thanks to Mark for a wonderful driver...

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
attachment.php

A basic functional sketch. Add bracing, support ....

dave

Attachments

• henklemann-A7-MLTL.pdf
    23.1 KB · Views: 128
  • henklemann-A7-MLTL-tnX.gif
    henklemann-A7-MLTL-tnX.gif
    14.9 KB · Views: 1,323
Sweeeeet

Awesome dude! Did you have to compensate since running two drivers in the mains? I want to do the same thing when I get the money. Also, if I may, are you crossing over to the subs at the receiver or amp or straight through the speakers. Again awesome wish I could hear it. I bet you don't want to leave once you start listening. Lol.

jparker: I have the subs crossed through my amp. Anything below 100hz the subs pick up. They integrate really well with the rest of the system. I would highly recommend the SEAS L26ROY subwoofer, best I have heard to this point. And if you need more output you can add a passive radiator in a small 40 litre cabinet... ( I have 2 of those in the works) :)

The Bi-pole mains are built fullrange and do well in smaller rooms without a sub. I am extremely happy with them... Imaging and soundstage is incredible!

Thank you for the advice. I looked at the price and they are not too expensive 254 at Madisound so that's not too bad on the budget. I figured you had them crossed at the amp. that way. You can adjust as need be. I admire your craftsmanship. One of the best looking systems I have seen and I have seen a lot on the net. I can tell by looking that your room is a lot bigger than mine so the Alpairs wont be a concern with dynamics of the material I'll be listening to. I don't want to go over board on the subs but I can always open windows and doors lol. Let a little of the sound out:D. I might get the silver Alpairs as you did to compliment the subs too. Hope you don't mind me getting ideas off yours. Awesome man if I had a system like that I would not leave the house which is why I'm building mine close to retirement so I don't have to. Just kick back in sonic bliss and enjoy the last years I have.

I should clarify. My amp high passes all speakers at 100 hz and my sub is controlled by its own plate amp. Crossover and volume for the sub can be adjusted as you please...

If your room is smaller then mine, one sub will be more then enough.. If you choose to make it a sealed cabinet then you can expect an F3 of around 45hz plus room gain... If run with its passive radiator mate, the F3 drops to below 30hz. All with nice clean, dry bass response...:)

Thanks for your nice comments! I am happy with the way they turned out...

The round corners are achieved with the translam ply (stacked ply) building method. Time consuming, but worth I think...

My Yamaha

I have a Yamaha RX-V467 it came with a mike to calibrate speakers but I do it by my ears so as to my liking. I traded a computer monitor and a GTX 280 video card for it. It was still in the box. It has a crossover built in for the LFE and I got a split adapter so I can just run 2 subs off of it. I have been thinking about getting rid of the receiver and getting a power amp and connect straight to my computer. Using the sound card and Winamp program. Winamp has an EQ programed into it so I can adjust freqs. as need be.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.