Alpair 7.3 HT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys, I finally finished my HT setup and was going to post some pics. I used the Mark Audio Alpair 7.3 driver in all the speakers. The center and surrounds are sealed in 6 liter enclosures, and the mains are Bi-pole MLTL towers. Scott was nice enough to help my with the design of the towers, they sound wonderful...

Attachments

• HT full setup JPEG.jpg
    HT full setup JPEG.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 887
  • HT JPEG.jpg
    HT JPEG.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 828
  • HT main 2 JPEG.jpg
    HT main 2 JPEG.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 835
  • HT main 3 JPEG.jpg
    HT main 3 JPEG.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 830
  • HT main JPEG.jpg
    HT main JPEG.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 801
  • HT rear surround JPEG.jpg
    HT rear surround JPEG.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 446
The subs are both sealed units, one a SEAS L26ROY and the other a DAYTON. I'm in the process of building two new ones using the SEAS L26ROY sub with passive radiators, they will crossed at around 100hz with the Alpairs...

As far as the bass traps and wall treatments... I did a lot of research on this subject and wanted something simple to build, low in cost, but with good performance... I'm sure their are better options out there, but I'm really happy with how the room acoustics turned out..
In the bass traps I stacked acoustical insulation and covered it with cloth. I think they call it "super chunk bass trap" on the net...
The first reflection panels are one sheet of the same insulation, (3inch) covered in cloth with a 1 inch air pocket between it and the wall..
Both projects were really simple builds, cost effective and work well for me...

VERY nice!!

Cabinet shape and driver selection looks familiar by the way :) (PS: Since I took this picture I switched the speaker cabinets so that the woofers are facing outwards with the cabinets toed in about 25 degrees)

I wish I could liten to those beauties, I bet they sound heavenly!

overzicht1.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff: With this hobby we have, I am constantly building new and moving speakers around to different rooms and also selling them off, once I get bored of them. I build them to be stand alone speakers with no sub needed. Now that I have them in my HT room I cross them at 100hz and the subs take the rest. With movies and loud volumes, there is no worry of damaging the drivers once high passed with subs...

Swifty: When I saw your speakers months ago, I had to laugh... I had mine built and was doing the final coats of clear when your posts came up. I guess great minds think alike....:D Absolutely love the contrast between the white fronts and natural sides and the L26ROYs in the sides: brilliant!

Swifty: When I saw your speakers months ago, I had to laugh... I had mine built and was doing the final coats of clear when your posts came up. I guess great minds think alike....:D Absolutely love the contrast between the white fronts and natural sides and the L26ROYs in the sides: brilliant!

Thanks for the nice words, the coincidence brought a smile to my face too :). It was later pointed out to me that the basic design is very much like the work Boenicke audio does with their speaker line. I never had heard of them before this was mentioned in that thread, but I cannot deny the similarities are easy to see. Was your design in any way influenced by them?

While the level of workmanship on your creation is far beyond what I will ever be able to achieve, I really like the way they turned out.

Funny you ask, After I had sketched a design and talked to Scott, and finally finished my template for the translam construction, I came across the Boenicke website and was amazed at what I saw... He copied my design! Just kidding.. The outside might look similar as ours, but the inside of Boenicke's speakers are as beautiful as the outside. I could never achieve that level of craftsmanship.

Thank you for your comments, but it's really easy... A bit time consuming but easy... Once you have your design and template, anyone can run a router with a flush trim bit and before you know it, your done...

I heard Boenicke's SLS at a showroom a couple of year back. It was impressive - specially the soundstage... store manager put on "Calling Elvis" from Dire Straits' On the Night album - sounded superb. Pity I was short on time and couldn't try out any other stuff, so I am in position to comment on the overall sound and capabilities of the speaker. The tall and slim aesthetic of the SLS is also pleasing.

With drivers like the Alpair 7.3, coupled with a woofer and good amp in a good FAST configuration like what Swifty has done, I am pretty DIYers can match the listening experience of a good number of much higher priced commercial mult-way builds at a fraction of the budget. Not to mention the immense fun of exploring, learning, building, and sharing.

Thank you Mark for the great drivers! They help fuel the fire of DIY desire. :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.