Alpair 7.3 HT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One thing I've wondered about, and maybe you can share your experience on this - does the upfiring driver give an aural presentation on symphonic music that conveys more of the full size and scale of the experience rather than a miniturized version. Also have you experimented with the speaker placement enough to say how close to the wall the speakers can be placed without muddying up the sound? Thanks.

With the upfiring driver you get a more aural, wide open soundstage. I have the Alpair 2s in a simple BR enclosure and when comparing, they have a much more forward, narrow presentation then the Bi-poles. For critical listening and audio mixing ( my dad works in a recording studio) the single driver is better as it gives you a little better detail and focus. That's not to say the Bi-pole isn't detailed, it presents every nuance the same as the BR does... just with less focus. The Bi-pole excels in soundstage, dynamics and fills the room with music.

As far as speaker placement, I have mine 2 feet from the back wall and 3 feet from side wall with good results. I tried placing them 1 foot from back wall and didn't notice negative results... With the dual driver, it is not picky and makes it easy to place...

I don't want to hijack your thread and take up anymore of your time. I'll get 7.3s,10.2s and Fostex FE206Ens and try them in different size bass reflex just to give me a "general" idea of the speakers. The Fostex simply because I'm curious about the design. I will listen to Enya myself to see what is what. I'll just get all three and compare. That's what it is all about anyway. Thank you 11opas you have been a big help and your system an inspiration.

I don't want to hijack your thread and take up anymore of your time. I'll get 7.3s,10.2s and Fostex FE206Ens and try them in different size bass reflex just to give me a "general" idea of the speakers. The Fostex simply because I'm curious about the design. I will listen to Enya myself to see what is what. I'll just get all three and compare. That's what it is all about anyway. Thank you 11opas you have been a big help and your system an inspiration.

jparker,

The Fostex FE206En will not work well in a BR cab - it is designed for horns; the cabinets will be big and more complex to build. Also as this is the MA forum, the rules are not to discuss other drivers and designs - the main FR forum is for that.

11opas, sorry for OT discussion on your thread.

In smaller rooms I found them very nice without any help from a sub.... Usable bass to around 40hz and then it drops off quickly....The bass is clean, dry and have a certain fullness my standard Alpair 2 BR's don't have... They are truly a full range speaker, IMO...

Thanks for the reply Chris. I have a pair of 7.3's in a 12L a standard bass reflex which sound great but, I've been wrestling with how to keep the magic of the Alpair intact whilst extending the dynamic range. I think a quad of drivers will help, and the MLTL looks like it goes a little lower. And they look so good too! Summer project sorted then... Thanks to you and Dave for sharing the drawing.

Here is a question for you experts. I don't truly understand the whole ML-TL idea. However I do note that these bi poles have an internal volume of .95 cu ft. Although the dimensions would be different I am wondering what the results would be to take one of the Parts Express curved sided 1 cu ft enclosures and use them in a similar front fire / top fire configuration with the Alpair 7.3's. Minor differences? Major ones? A stupid idea? Any comments appreciated for those of us with a min of woodworking tools and expertise.

I finally got around to taking some pics of my new subs paired with the Alpair 7.3s The subs are ported with a passive radiators and perform very well. I have them crossed at 120hz...

Main and SUB close up.jpg ALPAIR 7.3 HT with new SUBS.jpg ALPAIR 7.3HT with new SUBS 2.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.