Desktop Full Range Project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2013, 03:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Desktop Full Range Project

Guys
Due to their shallow depth I'm considering building a pair of these for near field desktop use.

Now these look to employ a pair of Tang Band W4-1320SIF. But for the life of me I can't find out the manufacturers recommended enclosure volume. Can anyone help me with this? Also, should they be ported or sealed?

Also, as a design challenge I was considering concrete as a material, or 19mm ply sandwiched together. Anyone care to comment on the material choice?

Now I've considered the mHonkens and have built three of Dave's designs which I love. This time I'm looking for something visually different for my computer speakers. More of a design statement, but with solid audio performance.

Thoughts?

Elliott
Old 8th January 2013, 05:47 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Interesting speakers.

I don't see much point in using anything beyond PVC pipe, or even thick cardboard tube for a speaker like this.

My 1st inclination would have the driver in the "box" you point to as a 3"/

I have a similar speaker that uses a standard PVC adapter with a fitted wooden ring with 4" PVC pipe that perfectly fits both an Alpair 5 and the big buck 3" Scan Speak 10F (only 2 drivers i have tried in it.

Click the image to open in full size.

dae
Old 8th January 2013, 06:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave.
I see the volume of your tube speaker are significantly larger than that of the "Well Rounded" design. Part of their appeal to me was their shallow depth. In that they would sit either side of my laptop without taking too much space.

What drivers do you think would suit such a small enclosure?

Is concrete generally frowned upon for small speakers like this?
Old 8th January 2013, 07:32 PM   #4
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millicent Bystander View Post
Thanks Dave.
I see the volume of your tube speaker are significantly larger than that of the "Well Rounded" design. Part of their appeal to me was their shallow depth. In that they would sit either side of my laptop without taking too much space.

without hearing the Well Rounded, it'd be hard to say if the drivers used therein are achieving anywhere near their full potential - those are pretty teeny enclosures for sure

Quote:

While a friendly debate could ensue if addressing the technical merits (or not) of using concrete or any high mass material for moveable speaker enclosures of any design (can you read between the lines on my thoughts on the subject? ), it's probably easier for most DIY hacks to make a decent looking enclosure folks from more conventional materials (wood, PVC pipe* / cardboard tubes, etc) than with concrete / diamond cored basalt - you name it.

So more than anything, I'd say it's the pain in the but-tocks factor that keeps more folks from trying it.

* see this old link to projects using off the shelf PVC / ABS plumbing pipe & parts

Laying Pipe with Audio Lego

As of the hour of this post, the links to thumbnail photos on the index page aren't working, but click on any of the individual project links for further details.
Old 8th January 2013, 07:53 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Laying Pipe with Audio Lego

As of the hour of this post, the links to thumbnail photos on the index page aren't working, but click on any of the individual project links for further details.
Fixed.

dave
Old 8th January 2013, 07:57 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millicent Bystander View Post
Thanks Dave.

My cab is just an example, in this case a mid-TL, if i was using it FR i'd optimize the volume for sealed ot Vented box.

Alpair 6.2 (either) or FF85wk would be my 1st choice. Your pipe would need 2.5 litre. The 6M and FF85 can get away with less volume (down to say 1.5 litre -- in the case of the 6M the vent becomes so large that you might as well build the 2.5.

dave
Old 8th January 2013, 08:10 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I get the feeling they might be more "form" over "function" according to this review.

Oh well back to the drawing board.
Old 8th January 2013, 08:22 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

On a desk, I'd go sealed and eq up the bass using the computer as a source. If the computer isn't the source, maybe ported then.
Old 9th January 2013, 02:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Dave
Hypothetically speaking, what would I need to do to make your mHonkens "active" like the Audioengine 2?

Is there a suitable "off the shelf" plate amp that would be small enough (both physically and in power) to fit. Removing the footprint of a desktop amp would make these very appealing.
Old 9th January 2013, 03:20 PM   #10
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Audio Engine has 15 w rms. The following amps are rated higher but when operated at 15 w rms, will have pretty good low distortion values. You can power them with cheap 19 V laptop bricks.

Stick one of these in each cabinet: Kemo M034N 40 Watt Universal Mono Amplifier Module 320-554

Or one of these in one cabinet and connect two boxes with speaker cable: 2x25W @ 4 Ohm TDA7492 Class-D Audio Amplifier Board Only 320-332

Or if you had a two way you can even bi-amp with this: 4x100W @ 4 Ohm TK2050 Class-T Digital Audio Amplifier Board 320-302

Last edited by xrk971; 9th January 2013 at 03:22 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!