Desktop Full Range Project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2013, 04:24 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thanks xrk971
Those options sound very interesting indeed!
Old 9th January 2013, 04:26 PM   #12
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Also, if you do a search in diyaudio, there are big threads on how to "hot rod" your Sure TK2050 amp. Usual stuff like upgrading capacitors. I have not used them, but people who have used them really like them.
Old 9th January 2013, 07:34 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millicent Bystander View Post
Dave
Hypothetically speaking, what would I need to do to make your mHonkens "active" like the Audioengine 2
Technically the A2 is not an active speaker it is a powered speaker, there is still a passive XO.

What is an mHonken -- i searched my HD for such a thing, could not find anything. I recall having the name pass thru my head, but pretty sure i discarded it as inappropriate.

Any of these speakers could be powered by adding an amplifier. Do note that inside a loudspeaker is not a good place to put an amp.

dave
Old 14th January 2013, 12:32 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

@MillicentBystander - Yorkie, Jack Terrier 2 are not designed to produce thunderous bass - on the contrary. They are designed to produce well defined upper bass registers and they do reach down to 90Hz where they integrate well with a good, fast sub. The advantage of this is much cleaner midband and cleaner treble as you don't pollute it with heavy bass. The review mentioned by you perfectly supports that and as you can read Yorkies can clearly recognize and take advantage from better amplification. Full range drivers are very transparent and will give you pretty good window into a recording and will show advantages and also disadvantages of ancillary equipment.
They will overload quickly if used in larger/ported enclosure and you will defeat their purpose - they are not designed to play 20Hz or heavy bass as their xmax is very limited.
You can perhaps experiment with transmission or horn loaded enclosures to get better bass and not overdrive the speaker driver but they might end up impractically large for a desktop use.
To build a pair - the 19mm ply is very good material option ( such as Corgi - which uses CNC milled ply ), concrete is also an excellent material and has great industrial look to it but it is much more difficult to work with and build a proper enclosure. One thing to note - WRS speakers use customized drivers that are matched. The stock drivers are not matched and you might end up with different sounding left and right channel if not paired/matched properly.
Cheers,
jerry
Old 14th January 2013, 12:53 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

@MillicentBystander - I believe that planet 10-hifi sells matched, enabled drivers...
jerry
Old 14th January 2013, 01:01 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input guys.

I've decided on a uFonken experiment adapted for desktop use. The image shows the front baffle (B) tilted back 10 degrees which will approximately hit my ears at the distance and height I sit at my desk.

With the exception of the internal volume increasing a little I have keep the dimensions of the bottom baffle (A) and dropped the baffle separator (C) back for aesthetics.

Questions:

1. I'd like to use a driver that has a round profile instead of the square of the FF85WK. Something like the FR88EX perhaps? What driver is most suited to a slightly larger enclosure and has a round profile?

2. What width should the baffle separator (C) be?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 14th January 2013, 08:51 PM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

If you mod the uFonken, volume needs to remain the same. If you use a driver other then the FF85wk you can use the uFonken as an inspiration but you really need to start from scratch. Except for a bit more bass, FF88ex is a step back in terms of quality, The bezel on the FF85 is such that no rebate is not really an issue.

Shortening the vent spacer is the same as flaring the vent so the length has to be adjusted accordingly. By moving the vent shelf more than the specified 12mm off the back you are also changing the vent length.

dave
Old 14th January 2013, 09:13 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

BTW, i did a 1st pass at a wedgie, never did finish (not happy with the 20 tilt on these?

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif wedgie-1st-pass=snap.gif (28.1 KB, 117 views)
Old 15th January 2013, 12:36 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thank you Dave. Like the "wedgie". This would do the trick nicely but I couldn't find this on your site. Is the PDF accessible at all?
Old 15th January 2013, 12:57 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The design has not been finalized (which could happen in short order if requested by a subscriber). When it is it will become part of the FF85wk paid plan set.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!