Foster 8F3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know what I can use these Foster 8F3 for. My friend gave me two pairs of these along with the crossovers for them. Crossover is a 1st order with a 2mh choke to woofer and a 30uf cap to the tweeters which wired in parallel. He does not have woofers for them and can't remember where/how he got these neat looking things. I borrowed these picts from ebay but mine look exactly the same.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    601 KB · Views: 226
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    611.7 KB · Views: 231
Neat. I've always wanted to find a pair of 10F3 locally, no luck yet. I understand the 8F3 is the 3" model.

One thing to check for is Stiff Surround Syndrome. You can sometimes tell by how supple the surround feels, but measuring Fs is a better way to tell. In any case, I'd expect the Fs for good surrounds to be quite high anyway, so you're likely better off crossing these around 300Hz in a small sealed box or aperiodic stuffed-line, or even OB if you fancy that. I recommend a PLLXO to save money and avoid interaction with the impedance peak that is likely around 150Hz-250Hz.

IG

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have 3 of these, althou the cones are dark. A lovely driver... think 40-50 yr old precursor to FE83, or FF85. Mine came out of a Noresco FAST ... XOed to (IIRC) an 8 Isophon alnico woofer.

Cal, i've not found a use for these yt, so maybe we can do a deal. I think mine are at least part-way to phase plugs installed.

dave

xecluded,

I think you're right. If Dave has them, it's probably best to deal with him. Thanks for understanding.

He's only about 60 miles as the crow flies but it takes about 4 hours to getl there. Drive, line up, ferry ride, then drive some more.

Wassa matter - out of fuel for your jetpack ;)

yeah, a round trip can chew up a whole day and the best part of $200 (not including the beer, so double(?) that )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.