8" full range: wildburro vs audio nirvana vs fostex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
which driver sounds best and have simpler cabinet build plans?
which one sounds smoother and can give deeper bass?

note:
T-amp(25W at 4ohms) will be used
room is around 10x15, speakers will be kept at 4-5 feet distance(pretty close!) beside the TV.
listening levels will be moderate and include jazz, classical, soft rock kind of music.

thanks

For the asked prices, based on what I've heard of the fostex, I'd go for a mark audio alpair over the fostex. I have an Audio Nirvana 8 neo that I got for the same price as the fostex and I personally think its sounds pretty good. it has good dynamics and is capable of playing complex music very well without getting muddled. Compared to the alpair 10, it is very bass lacking and a pain in the *** the try and make a cabinet for.

looking at the published freq.response for these drivers, i see that betsyK has maintained flat until 50hz, while others have their rolloff starting below 100hz...ANs start to rolloff at somewhere between 150-200hz only. does this mean betsyK has good bass compared to others?

Only if all drivers are operated in the same situation as they were measured: mounted on a large wall, with no bass re-inforcement from the cabinet.

I suspect you won't use them like that, so the LF response according to measurements isn't representative of what you'll be able to get out of them.

Load them into WinISD Pro, and play around with sealed/reflex alignments. You might find the Fostex driver benefits from a couple of ohms series resistance (depending on driver).

Chris

whoever has built speakers(TL or sealed box, no ported or OB), pls share your listening impressions. especially the how it produces bass? highs i can always cover using a super tweeter/ribbon tweeter, but i want to avoid sub/woofer for augmenting lows. if it can faithfully reproduce -3dB at 40hz or so, then i think it meets my requirements for normal music listening.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
With the proper cabinet, I think these drivers can reach down to 40 Hz if you were using in open baffle, then the Betsy will have more bass down low. The Fostex and Audio Nirvanas may actually be designed to have bass lower than mids and treble so that when used in a back loaded horn, the rising response blends well with the horn output. If you are looking for a simple transmission line that reaches 40 Hz nicely, look at the WIBAQ thread - Bjohanessen has a simulation of how the Betsy K will behave in a 45 inch long mass loaded TL. The performance is quite remarkeable. That being said, it has not yet been built but MJK simulations are quite good. Based on the frequency response from the sim, I do not believe the WIBAQ will require a sub woofer as it has usable output well down into 30 Hz region.

Last edited:
Soundnovice,

Here's the link to my ongoing project involving the Betsy Ks from Wild Burro. I haven't actually built anything yet, as this is a new project, but check out the cabinet design and frequency response. The cabinet is a mass loaded transmission line (very simple design) and has very good bass extension. The cabinet was designed by Bjohannesen. Just to give you an idea of a cabinet that might work well using the Betsy

Soundnovice,

Here's the link to my ongoing project involving the Betsy Ks from Wild Burro. I haven't actually built anything yet, as this is a new project, but check out the cabinet design and frequency response. The cabinet is a mass loaded transmission line (very simple design) and has very good bass extension. The cabinet was designed by Bjohannesen. Just to give you an idea of a cabinet that might work well using the Betsy

dumbledog, this design is extremely simple...its just a box and am thrilled!
however no bracings needed inside? have you started building this?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
how is TABAQ design is different from simpleTL as in below link?
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/wild-burro-audio/167136-betsyk-simple-tl.html#post2192433

sorry for the noob question, but want to understand how they work?

TABAQ is Mass Loaded - which means a constriction is placed on exit vent to bring the tuning freq lower. It is called mass loading by analogy to vibrating cantilever in which one adds mass to the end to slow down vibration frequency. Reducing cross section has same effect. The plain TL has a plain unrestricted opening so requires longer length to achieve same frequency. Tradeoff is reduced output in bass with ML.

dumbledog, this design is extremely simple...its just a box and am thrilled!
however no bracings needed inside? have you started building this?

I haven't added any bracing in that model. There will be some, since you don't want the enclosure to resonate. I haven't started building yet, though I will start shortly.
Make sure the bracing does not interfere with the sound wave prolongation up and down the line. Too much bracing could disrupt the functionality and disparate the sound waves.

Soundnovice;

FWIW, one more vote for something like the Alpair10.2 - great performer that digs very deep for its size, and works very well in small footprint MLTLs that I'd imagine to be more suitable to the room size indicated. 10x15ft is not a big space, even before you add the listening seats - you could easily be talking about listening distance of 8ft, so I'd posit the sensitivity issue to be less significant than in a 800 sq ft great room with a cathedral ceiling.

As for enclosures for the 10.2 - Pensil or Brines' M10-A10 are proven to work quite well, and are fairly simple, unless you go gonzo with bracing.

OBs, and line arrays for that matter aren't my particular cup of tea sonically - but other folks are wildly enthusiastic about them both. In all honesty it's the very low WAF and total real estate required for these types to "gel" as much as the sonics that put them at the bottom of my candidate list.

I have both BetsyK and MA 10.2, I've run them both successfully on 5 watt se tube amp! The 10.2 has extended bass in a much more compact package at double the price! BetsyK needs a LARGE box and performs well. Apples and oranges, is 10.2 worth the extra money? YES! (it does require MORE break-in time)

Larry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.