8" full range: wildburro vs audio nirvana vs fostex - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 09:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 8" full range: wildburro vs audio nirvana vs fostex

which driver sounds best and have simpler cabinet build plans?
which one sounds smoother and can give deeper bass?

note:
T-amp(25W at 4ohms) will be used
room is around 10x15, speakers will be kept at 4-5 feet distance(pretty close!) beside the TV.
listening levels will be moderate and include jazz, classical, soft rock kind of music.

thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 10:26 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

For the asked prices, based on what I've heard of the fostex, I'd go for a mark audio alpair over the fostex. I have an Audio Nirvana 8 neo that I got for the same price as the fostex and I personally think its sounds pretty good. it has good dynamics and is capable of playing complex music very well without getting muddled. Compared to the alpair 10, it is very bass lacking and a pain in the *** the try and make a cabinet for.
Old 7th January 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

It sounds like the OP is looking for drivers with very high mid 90 db drivers, not sure if MA fills this.
For the money, it is tough to beat the Betsy for a 95 db sensitivity driver.
Old 7th January 2013, 10:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

looking at the published freq.response for these drivers, i see that betsyK has maintained flat until 50hz, while others have their rolloff starting below 100hz...ANs start to rolloff at somewhere between 150-200hz only. does this mean betsyK has good bass compared to others?
Old 7th January 2013, 10:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
looking at the published freq.response for these drivers, i see that betsyK has maintained flat until 50hz, while others have their rolloff starting below 100hz...ANs start to rolloff at somewhere between 150-200hz only. does this mean betsyK has good bass compared to others?
Only if all drivers are operated in the same situation as they were measured: mounted on a large wall, with no bass re-inforcement from the cabinet.

I suspect you won't use them like that, so the LF response according to measurements isn't representative of what you'll be able to get out of them.

Load them into WinISD Pro, and play around with sealed/reflex alignments. You might find the Fostex driver benefits from a couple of ohms series resistance (depending on driver).

Chris
Old 7th January 2013, 11:04 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

whoever has built speakers(TL or sealed box, no ported or OB), pls share your listening impressions. especially the how it produces bass? highs i can always cover using a super tweeter/ribbon tweeter, but i want to avoid sub/woofer for augmenting lows. if it can faithfully reproduce -3dB at 40hz or so, then i think it meets my requirements for normal music listening.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've just posted this elsewhere but an outfit in Moldova seems to be making the stock cabinets. The price seems OK to me (as I don't tend to build my own) but the shipping is a problem.

fostex box | eBay

Maybe they have something for 8" too?
Old 7th January 2013, 11:26 AM   #8
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

With the proper cabinet, I think these drivers can reach down to 40 Hz if you were using in open baffle, then the Betsy will have more bass down low. The Fostex and Audio Nirvanas may actually be designed to have bass lower than mids and treble so that when used in a back loaded horn, the rising response blends well with the horn output. If you are looking for a simple transmission line that reaches 40 Hz nicely, look at the WIBAQ thread - Bjohanessen has a simulation of how the Betsy K will behave in a 45 inch long mass loaded TL. The performance is quite remarkeable. That being said, it has not yet been built but MJK simulations are quite good. Based on the frequency response from the sim, I do not believe the WIBAQ will require a sub woofer as it has usable output well down into 30 Hz region.

Last edited by xrk971; 7th January 2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 7th January 2013, 11:33 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Soundnovice,

Here's the link to my ongoing project involving the Betsy Ks from Wild Burro. I haven't actually built anything yet, as this is a new project, but check out the cabinet design and frequency response. The cabinet is a mass loaded transmission line (very simple design) and has very good bass extension. The cabinet was designed by Bjohannesen. Just to give you an idea of a cabinet that might work well using the Betsy
Old 7th January 2013, 12:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledog View Post
Soundnovice,

Here's the link to my ongoing project involving the Betsy Ks from Wild Burro. I haven't actually built anything yet, as this is a new project, but check out the cabinet design and frequency response. The cabinet is a mass loaded transmission line (very simple design) and has very good bass extension. The cabinet was designed by Bjohannesen. Just to give you an idea of a cabinet that might work well using the Betsy
dumbledog, this design is extremely simple...its just a box and am thrilled!
however no bracings needed inside? have you started building this?

Hide this!Advertise here!