8" full range: wildburro vs audio nirvana vs fostex - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 11:53 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

how is TABAQ design is different from simpleTL as in below link?
BetsyK Simple TL

sorry for the noob question, but want to understand how they work?
Old 7th January 2013, 03:02 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Big, beautiful box for the Betsy!
Old 7th January 2013, 03:23 PM   #13
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Big, beautiful box for the Betsy!
Should call it the B4!
Old 7th January 2013, 04:23 PM   #14
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
how is TABAQ design is different from simpleTL as in below link?
BetsyK Simple TL

sorry for the noob question, but want to understand how they work?
TABAQ is Mass Loaded - which means a constriction is placed on exit vent to bring the tuning freq lower. It is called mass loading by analogy to vibrating cantilever in which one adds mass to the end to slow down vibration frequency. Reducing cross section has same effect. The plain TL has a plain unrestricted opening so requires longer length to achieve same frequency. Tradeoff is reduced output in bass with ML.
Old 7th January 2013, 05:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundnovice View Post
dumbledog, this design is extremely simple...its just a box and am thrilled!
however no bracings needed inside? have you started building this?
I haven't added any bracing in that model. There will be some, since you don't want the enclosure to resonate. I haven't started building yet, though I will start shortly.
Make sure the bracing does not interfere with the sound wave prolongation up and down the line. Too much bracing could disrupt the functionality and disparate the sound waves.
Old 7th January 2013, 05:10 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Let me fix that statement. You don't want the enclosure material itself to be able to flex and resonate. This can lead to coloration of the sound.
Old 7th January 2013, 06:00 PM   #17
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've heard good things about the Betsy in OB, I can only assume the Betsy k is just as nice... for the money, a great deal. I use Visaton B200 in open baffle, and have not heard either Betsy FWIW... just my observation from research.
Old 7th January 2013, 06:39 PM   #18
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Soundnovice;

FWIW, one more vote for something like the Alpair10.2 - great performer that digs very deep for its size, and works very well in small footprint MLTLs that I'd imagine to be more suitable to the room size indicated. 10x15ft is not a big space, even before you add the listening seats - you could easily be talking about listening distance of 8ft, so I'd posit the sensitivity issue to be less significant than in a 800 sq ft great room with a cathedral ceiling.

As for enclosures for the 10.2 - Pensil or Brines' M10-A10 are proven to work quite well, and are fairly simple, unless you go gonzo with bracing.

OBs, and line arrays for that matter aren't my particular cup of tea sonically - but other folks are wildly enthusiastic about them both. In all honesty it's the very low WAF and total real estate required for these types to "gel" as much as the sonics that put them at the bottom of my candidate list.
Old 8th January 2013, 06:10 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

alpair 10.2 costs nearly 45USD more than betsyK (shipped). i am looking for high sensitivity as i want to drive within 1-2W of power so that i could build a small power tube amp in future.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:21 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

I have both BetsyK and MA 10.2, I've run them both successfully on 5 watt se tube amp! The 10.2 has extended bass in a much more compact package at double the price! BetsyK needs a LARGE box and performs well. Apples and oranges, is 10.2 worth the extra money? YES! (it does require MORE break-in time)

Larry

Hide this!Advertise here!