Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2013, 08:22 AM   #1
xyz25 is offline xyz25  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Alpair 7.3 vs 6.2m nearfield

Hello everyone,

I know there are similar threads, but I still have a few questions regarding which driver I should use

I am planning a nearfield setup for my desk, listening distance will be around 3 feet, the speakers will be standing approx 2 feet apart.
My room is very small - about 3x3meters (9x9feet)

I know that Mark designed the Alpair 6.2M specifically for nearfied setups like mine, however I very much like a good low end...the Alpair 7.3 simulated in a BR enclosure in WinISD performs much better there, since I want to avoid using a subwoofer.

The drivers will be fed by a Tascam US-144 external soundcard, most of my music collection are flac files or at least 320kbit MP3, I don't know the exact model of my amp right now, its a Technics...I will look it up later.
I mostly listen to Heavy Metal aswell as acoustic stuff, hard rock and such things.

I hope you can help me in this matter and very much appreciate your opinions on which driver aswell as which enclosure is should use
Old 7th January 2013, 01:20 PM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

xyz25,

The Alp 7.3 is one of my favorite drivers - however it is very revealing - brings out a lot of warts in the recording. Heavy metal recordings have their own set of issues and don't sound particularly pleasing with FR drivers. My quest with full-range also started heavy/thrash metal is part of the requirement... I have embraced other forms of music through the journey, but still haven't found what I am looking for when it comes to metal/rock music and FR...

Have you looked up the Alp 6P? It is a paper cone driver and likely has a softer to end vs Alp 6.2M - unfortunately I have not heard either of them.

Will be following this thread.

Last edited by zman01; 7th January 2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 7th January 2013, 01:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your reply zman,

I should have mentioned that my main speakers in the living room already are FRs, a backloaded horn "Das Viech" with the Beyma 8AG/N, a rather cheap driver, so I am kinda used to listening to Metal on FRs.

I'm sure the driver's quality is nothing compared to the Alpair so I am sure the Alp will do it "better".
I just build a good 2-way-system for my parents and although they have a better low end, don't overpresent the mids and a better top end, its still not the same

I don't have that much experience with room gain.
Like I said my room is small and the speakers will be standing not far (maybe 1ft) away from the wall, so maybe the Alpair6(M/P) will already be enough low end for my use?!
Old 7th January 2013, 04:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

xyz25,

"Das Viech" loosely translated means "The Beast", right? I've read reviews about the Viech and folks say that the speaker likes to be played loud and does pretty well with rock/metal.

There's another driver you might consider for nearfield - Markaudio CHP-70 Gen-1:

CHP-70 Gen1 (pair) - RumoH - Caps, coils and speakers

These are on sale at the store linked above. See how the model in WinISD.
Old 8th January 2013, 12:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Your translation is right, but in my opinion the Beyma driver does best with dynamic recordings of drums, orchestral stuff (pirates of the carribean is like a dream on them) and acoustic guitars...they are overpresenting the mids a lot, female voices sound kinda sharp and crashes don't have the brilliance...accuracy is not their strengh :/

What I want to build this time is a smooth, and delicate sounding, revealing speaker...I imagine a good Dire Straits recording could sound awesome on the 7.3...

Thanks for helping me here, but I guess I will just have to find out myself...I am really fascinated by the 7.3 from what other user say...
If I don't like the sound I can still sell them

Your thought behind mentioning the CHP-70 was that the top-end rolls off early in comparison to the Alpairs so they don't sound that sharp with Metal, right?
Old 8th January 2013, 01:13 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz25 View Post
I guess I will just have to find out myself...I am really fascinated by the 7.3 from what other user say...
If I don't like the sound I can still sell them
What size box are we talking about here? For a 5 Litre enclosure, the A7.3 may not be the automatic choice (over A6M/P), unless you're EQ'ing the bottom end.

jeff
Old 8th January 2013, 01:20 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

10 litres would be the maximum, I would prefer something about 8...but sound goes first
Old 8th January 2013, 01:26 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Your thought behind mentioning the CHP-70 was that the top-end rolls off early in comparison to the Alpairs so they don't sound that sharp with Metal, right?
They are also more capable at the bottom, and with the paper cone a little more forgiving with poorer recordings

dave
Old 8th January 2013, 02:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
10 litres would be the maximum, I would prefer something about 8...but sound goes first
A7.3 Can't imagine you'll dislike them, but I don't listen to metal, so that's my out.

jeff

Last edited by vinylkid58; 8th January 2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 8th January 2013, 04:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Your translation is right, but in my opinion the Beyma driver does best with dynamic recordings of drums, orchestral stuff (pirates of the carribean is like a dream on them) and acoustic guitars...they are overpresenting the mids a lot, female voices sound kinda sharp and crashes don't have the brilliance...accuracy is not their strengh :/
AFAIK these are PA speakers, and I am not surprised.

Quote:
What I want to build this time is a smooth, and delicate sounding, revealing speaker...I imagine a good Dire Straits recording could sound awesome on the 7.3...
Definitely.

Quote:
Yes, and add to that they will be used near-field. Plus what Dave has mentioned below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
They are also more capable at the bottom, and with the paper cone a little more forgiving with poorer recordings

dave

Last edited by zman01; 8th January 2013 at 04:45 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!