Alpair 7.3 vs 6.2m nearfield

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

I know there are similar threads, but I still have a few questions regarding which driver I should use :)

I am planning a nearfield setup for my desk, listening distance will be around 3 feet, the speakers will be standing approx 2 feet apart.
My room is very small - about 3x3meters (9x9feet)

I know that Mark designed the Alpair 6.2M specifically for nearfied setups like mine, however I very much like a good low end...the Alpair 7.3 simulated in a BR enclosure in WinISD performs much better there, since I want to avoid using a subwoofer.

The drivers will be fed by a Tascam US-144 external soundcard, most of my music collection are flac files or at least 320kbit MP3, I don't know the exact model of my amp right now, its a Technics...I will look it up later.
I mostly listen to Heavy Metal aswell as acoustic stuff, hard rock and such things.

I hope you can help me in this matter and very much appreciate your opinions on which driver aswell as which enclosure is should use :)

xyz25,

The Alp 7.3 is one of my favorite drivers - however it is very revealing - brings out a lot of warts in the recording. Heavy metal recordings have their own set of issues and don't sound particularly pleasing with FR drivers. My quest with full-range also started heavy/thrash metal is part of the requirement... I have embraced other forms of music through the journey, but still haven't found what I am looking for when it comes to metal/rock music and FR...:scratch1:

Have you looked up the Alp 6P? It is a paper cone driver and likely has a softer to end vs Alp 6.2M - unfortunately I have not heard either of them.

Will be following this thread. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply zman,

I should have mentioned that my main speakers in the living room already are FRs, a backloaded horn "Das Viech" with the Beyma 8AG/N, a rather cheap driver, so I am kinda used to listening to Metal on FRs.

I'm sure the driver's quality is nothing compared to the Alpair so I am sure the Alp will do it "better".
I just build a good 2-way-system for my parents and although they have a better low end, don't overpresent the mids and a better top end, its still not the same :)

I don't have that much experience with room gain.
Like I said my room is small and the speakers will be standing not far (maybe 1ft) away from the wall, so maybe the Alpair6(M/P) will already be enough low end for my use?!

xyz25,

"Das Viech" loosely translated means "The Beast", right? I've read reviews about the Viech and folks say that the speaker likes to be played loud and does pretty well with rock/metal. :)

There's another driver you might consider for nearfield - Markaudio CHP-70 Gen-1:

CHP-70 Gen1 (pair) - RumoH - Caps, coils and speakers

These are on sale at the store linked above. See how the model in WinISD.

Your translation is right, but in my opinion the Beyma driver does best with dynamic recordings of drums, orchestral stuff (pirates of the carribean is like a dream on them) and acoustic guitars...they are overpresenting the mids a lot, female voices sound kinda sharp and crashes don't have the brilliance...accuracy is not their strengh :/

What I want to build this time is a smooth, and delicate sounding, revealing speaker...I imagine a good Dire Straits recording could sound awesome on the 7.3...

Thanks for helping me here, but I guess I will just have to find out myself...I am really fascinated by the 7.3 from what other user say...
If I don't like the sound I can still sell them :D

Your thought behind mentioning the CHP-70 was that the top-end rolls off early in comparison to the Alpairs so they don't sound that sharp with Metal, right?

Your translation is right, but in my opinion the Beyma driver does best with dynamic recordings of drums, orchestral stuff (pirates of the carribean is like a dream on them) and acoustic guitars...they are overpresenting the mids a lot, female voices sound kinda sharp and crashes don't have the brilliance...accuracy is not their strengh :/

AFAIK these are PA speakers, and I am not surprised. :)

What I want to build this time is a smooth, and delicate sounding, revealing speaker...I imagine a good Dire Straits recording could sound awesome on the 7.3...

Definitely.

Your thought behind mentioning the CHP-70 was that the top-end rolls off early in comparison to the Alpairs so they don't sound that sharp with Metal, right?

Yes, and add to that they will be used near-field. Plus what Dave has mentioned below.

They are also more capable at the bottom, and with the paper cone a little more forgiving with poorer recordings

dave

Last edited:
Ive not heard the A6 latest version, but I have been messing with the 'old' A5 for a while now.
In a little cardboard tack and tape 5 minute experiment i found that the A5 used at loud desktop levels and with bass EQ makes a shockingly good pc setup. Now they wont shake the room but a clean rendition of bass down to 50hz is entirely possible with the caveat that levels would be limited. I used a rumble filter set at 40hz and rough approximation of LR transform from 100hz down to 40hz. I listen to mostly metal and i see no reason why the A6.2 M or P couldnt work.

At 1m distance and sitting at a desk, ~85 to 88db is plenty for me.

Last edited:
The A5 gen1 that i have needed a notch with the GEQ to tame it, the newer A6 are smoother from others opinions.

Mine are loaded in a 75mm sonotube 1m long and a little stuffed. Aimed roughly horizontal a bit like a RPG...

bass EQ of 8db at 31hz, 4db at 63hz, and 0db at 125hz.

Maybe im hearing a strange dipole effect or a room mode but the bass output is surprising considering the lash up, and driver just stuck into the end of a tube.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.