Alpair 7.3 vs 6.2m nearfield - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2013, 05:31 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Ive not heard the A6 latest version, but I have been messing with the 'old' A5 for a while now.
In a little cardboard tack and tape 5 minute experiment i found that the A5 used at loud desktop levels and with bass EQ makes a shockingly good pc setup. Now they wont shake the room but a clean rendition of bass down to 50hz is entirely possible with the caveat that levels would be limited. I used a rumble filter set at 40hz and rough approximation of LR transform from 100hz down to 40hz. I listen to mostly metal and i see no reason why the A6.2 M or P couldnt work.

At 1m distance and sitting at a desk, ~85 to 88db is plenty for me.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 8th January 2013 at 05:38 AM.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:28 AM   #12
xyz25 is offline xyz25  Germany
diyAudio Member

I found out that there is "spectrumaudio" just a few kilometers away from where I live - just emailed him if I could listen to some MA drivers, hope that works out
Old 8th January 2013, 03:05 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The A5 gen1 that i have needed a notch with the GEQ to tame it, the newer A6 are smoother from others opinions.

Mine are loaded in a 75mm sonotube 1m long and a little stuffed. Aimed roughly horizontal a bit like a RPG...

bass EQ of 8db at 31hz, 4db at 63hz, and 0db at 125hz.

Maybe im hearing a strange dipole effect or a room mode but the bass output is surprising considering the lash up, and driver just stuck into the end of a tube.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 8th January 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 8th January 2013, 03:08 PM   #14
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post

At 1m distance and sitting at a desk, ~85 to 88db is plenty for me.
Man, that's loud
Old 8th January 2013, 04:20 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Man, that's loud
perhaps it was less than 88db even i measured with SPL meter phone app, so it could be ballpark figure. Not loud no. PC speakers they are not, but they make fantastic ones none the less.

Hide this!Advertise here!