Recommend a 6" for bass duties with Jordan?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK so I'm going to thrash this out in public, with the hope it will crystallise my decision on where I'm going.

So I can pick the easy road, Tang Band W8-1772 in a ported design, or I stick with my beloved Jordan's and augment them.

So to the Jordan JX92 or EAD E100 depending on how old they are. My thinking is to go for Jim Griffins proven Ribbon design, fine, done deal. However I'm also inclined (while I'm at it) to supplement them with a 6" driver.

This would take on all bass duties and be down firing (don't ask just yet). So can anyone recommend a reasonably priced 6" driver to partner with the Jordan's? This may go to 8" but I want to keep footprints small.

Last edited:
My Jordan with a ribbon MLTL design (see http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/81634-jordan-ribbon-mltl.html) produces impressive bass output to below 40 Hz. I doubt that a 6" driver would yield significant improvement beyond the MLTL results that I attained.

Now a small 8" sub may yield more impressive bass than the MLTL version alone but you may be just as happy with the Jordan and ribbon tweeter configuration without the extra complexity.

Mark at Jordan-USA has derived improved Jordan JX92S MLTL designs in 31, 35, and 40 inch lengths which attain about 10 Hz more bass than my original 47.5" version. How would like an honest 30 Hz from a JX92S in a MLTL? Take a look at Mark's versions at:

Designs

The 40 inch tall version is the most amenable for use with the small ribbon tweeter in my opinion as you can locate the tweeter at an optimum height for listeners.

A minor disclaimer with the Jordan-USA designs is that I have not built one of those MLTLs. But, Mark uses Martin J. King worksheets to derive his results just as I did for my design. So I have confidence that his work is solid and you will achieve the same results.

Notice the improvement in low end response in the simulation plots referenced above. The 40" tall cabinet would be best for locating the ribbon tweeter at ear level (35-37" height) for sitting listeners.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.