Fostex FE126En basket stabilization

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to ask if anyone has tried using one of the metal filled epoxy putties to stabilize the basket on any of the Fostex drivers. I am really interested in finding out what it may do to the sound of a driver.

I really wish that we had the option to purchase Fostex drivers with cast baskets rather than the stamped ones they use.

don't know if I would choose a metal filed epoxy but yes I have done this it tightens thing up nicely. Nothing wrong with stamped baskets these are small drivers. I use dynamat on the basket inside and out. I also brace the magnet structure to the basket where possible this keeps the magnet from rocking on the top of the basket. One of the very best mods I have come up with is to use three layers of SAE rated F-11 acoustical felt on (over) the spider in doughnut shapes. I also use dynamat on the back of the magnet assembly.
If you make it to Calgary you are most welcome to come by for a visit and a good listen to hear for yourself what these kinds of mods can do. If you are doing a recone there is more that can be done of if you are willing to remove the dust cap damp and re install the dust cap yo u can add additional damping. Best regards Moray James.

PS Dave D. at planet ten has done all kinds of mods and is a fantastic resource.

Hi Moray James,
Thank you for your kindly advice and your invitation.
I thought that the metal putty would provide some damping to the basket and help to reduce any vibrations that may arise.
I am a recent convert to fullrangers and quite frankly, I wished that I had been exposed to them many years earlier. I am quite taken by the sound of these drivers, mine being the FE126En`s. So much music from such a tiny driver, it is almost unbelievable.
I hate to ask, but do you have an image of your treatment to the driver. I can picture a donut shape but I am unsure as to how you have applied it.

I do thank you Moray, you are most kind!
Regards and best wishes for 2013
jazzminded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.