Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2013, 04:36 PM   #11
AJ is offline AJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks everyone for the input. I went ahead and let the box grow to 19.5 for width (I can still live with that) and the depth out to 27.75, which is much closer to the original sim dimensions and the driver will squeak right in with no changes to the cab. The extra depth naturally increases the angle of the divider and along with the baffle thickness and basket taper, it's all good.

Allan
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:36 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ View Post
I've been looking into running an FX200 in a BIB in a small (already crowded) room. The most I want to deal with is an 18 inch depth and these really need 26-27 inches. The BIB has become a BAB (Big A$$ Box).

I sketched up the boxes and started looking at maybe turning them 90 degrees and mounting the drivers on the long side of the box. This would keep the depth down to 18 inches, but possibly with some new problems getting them to act right. My first thought was to mount them outboard of the original baffle location in a (ambiguous) compression chamber like the drawing below. It would obviously create some kind of filter chamber, but other than trial-error experimenting, I'm way out of my league here.

Click the image to open in full size.

Then I looked at mounting the drivers directly into the line at the same location and I'm a little more comfortable trying this approach. I suspect it'll need some pretty aggressive dampening on the back panel directly behind the driver, but other than that, do you guys see any major problems with this? I'd need to relieve the side of the baffle, but it would be minimal, and even less than I've sketched it in here.

If you have any experience doing this or any thoughts, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks.

Allan
if you post the measurements i will simulate it for you, or post the .dwg, .3ds or sketchup file etc.
Old 3rd January 2013, 04:52 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Thanks gafhenderson. I have MJK's old worksheets and I need to get a license for his new stuff. I haven't worked with them for 6-7 years so I need to catch up anyway. If I let you do it, I won't learn anything.

FWIW, the box size I'm looking at building is from the BIB calculator with a change from Fr=38 to Fr=42 to shorten the line, and a small change in the internal dims to arrive at a ratio of 1.42 and sm=459. This was done to make cutting the wood to an easy fractional dim. Recommended is sm=460 and 1.4142, so it's a pretty minor difference.

Also, Fs=38, Vas=82L, Qts=.45 (from the spec sheet, not from real-world measurements).

Allan

Last edited by AJ; 3rd January 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:02 PM   #14
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Just a note- skip the bulge in the bottom render. You've created a section of baffle near equidistant from the driver- a diffraction nightmare. (look at the classic Olson work on baffle shapes for a flat disc mounting of a driver)
Old 3rd January 2013, 06:12 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badman View Post
Just a note- skip the bulge in the bottom render. You've created a section of baffle near equidistant from the driver- a diffraction nightmare. (look at the classic Olson work on baffle shapes for a flat disc mounting of a driver)
Thanks badman. I was just having fun there and thinking of Salma Hayek's profile. I'm not sure what I'll actually do with the baffle, but I'll take a closer look before I start cutting.

Allan

Hide this!Advertise here!