The WIBAQ: TABAQ Design with Betsy K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Prospective Builders, READ THIS:

This is important for anyone planning on building the WiBAQ:

:wave2: Just published the WiBAQ project on Instructables. The article details assembly tips, has a cutting plan for the plywood, links to order parts, etc. etc. This is an important resource for a first time builder or to just get a better idea of the project. :wave2:

Please check it out and vote for it in the Up! contest, which should feature it hopefully by sometime in the next 24 hours. If you are reading this after April 1st, 2013, the contest has ended. Thanks!!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Dumbledog,
Nice Instructables entry. Great detail and tips, I am very impressed with your motivation and can do spirit and what you have done considering how young you are. I have to say that from the time you got the dimensions from Bjorn's sims, to the time you are listening is very fast for a plywood project this big. Most of us on these forums, I fear, are bordering on being called old f@rts. I wish I discovered diy audio when I was in high school. I wouldn't have had to listen to bad or mediocre speakers for all these years!
How do you vote on instructables?
Regards,
X

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
And by close you mean...?
This is really interesting for us who use OSX or for people who want to go commercial without paying up. X0/

Within 1.5%.

For the purpose of the test case, I assumed the same cabinet height and baffle width, and vent height dimensions. After setting the desired tuning freq to reach down to 35 Hz, WinISD produced a volume that yielded a cabinet depth of 15.8 in vs 16.25 in (per WIBAQ) and an identical vent length! Essentially a perfect match using no MJK whatsoever. The 45 in cabinet height will affect things if you do not choose that to be close but that was based on practical considerations of how tall a cabinet should be to get driver close to ear height.

Give it a shot! Try against another well known MLTL design. I have similar experience when tested against 3 in TABAQ design.

But I have to say that this was not in any way meant as a way to circumvent paying licensing or royalties for use of MJK sims for commercial purposes! Rather, as a means for people to get a reasonable MLTL design for an arbitrary driver, given no simulation is available.

Last edited:
Still, its pretty interesting that the results are so repeatable from program to program like that. I think it verifies how much we are finally beginning to understand about audio- we're no longer in the 'dark ages' before Thiele/Small and being able to mathematically quantify driver properties with a dramatic amount of accuracy

Voting is Open!

The voting on Instructables is now open. I appreciate all the support I receive here on the forums and would appreciate if people were to vote for the WiBAQ Speakers in the Up! contest. The link to the contest page is above, but the voting button is also on the Instructable itself. Thanks! :D

Voted. I have a few questions.

Do you have any REW graphs for how they sound from your standard listening spot?

If you get the wood from Home Depot/Lowes, will they router out a hole for you?

I see you have these in a tight space next to wall in the instructable. Do they sound better farther away?

Home Depot and Lowes won't do anything but cut sheets to transportable size, and very poorly at that. Their panel saws are invariably out of alignment and have worn, dull blades.

Do you have any REW graphs for how they sound from your standard listening spot?

I see you have these in a tight space next to wall in the instructable. Do they sound better farther away?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Home Depot and Lowes won't do anything but cut sheets to transportable size, and very poorly at that. Their panel saws are invariably out of alignment and have worn, dull blades.

Here in Canada, or at least in the city I live in, the Home Depot will do as many cuts as I want and they do them very, very well. The deal is, first 3 cuts free and then $1 per cut after that. Twice now I have not been charged for the extra cuts; the last time it was 14 cuts in total, they were all free, and they were all pretty-much perfect. I consider myself lucky, I guess.

They will not, AFAIK, route driver holes/rebates, though. :)

I don't have any graphs; I lack the equipment to do a proper test.
They will most likely not router the whole- it isn't too bad to do it by hand. I did mine with a jig saw and then finished it with some sanding.

As fo the positioning, the spacing near the wall is out if necessity. I can't do much else with my listening space but position them close to walls. It doesn't sound bad though- no noticeable reflections but a strong room mode around 60 hz.

My WIBAQ and measurement

Hi, all.

It's my WIBAQ. I finished it 2 wks ago and I'm really enjoying it.

I did not opt the BSC circuit.

First graph was taken at 1m, on axis and second one at 3m, my listening point. I'm using Thiel 22, Alpair 12.2P and Wibaq.

As you see in graphs, its performance is awesome. Its bass extension is satisfactory, Of course it cannot make a tight/fast punches as thiel 2.2 does, however, the amount and extension is enough to enjoying Jazz / Classical music. I don't have to turn my my sub on while listening music.

It makes a very detailed sound. It delivers musical nuance very well. The sound stage is not so wide. Its stage is limited btw 2 speakers, not go out of them. And unfortunately resoution is sometimes not enough to play the orchestral music - location of instruments is not clearly drawn when playing symphonies. It plays Jazz / Chamber music very well, not orchestral works.

It does not do well with my SET - using 205D tubes. It works well with my Firstwatt J2 / Berning 230EA amplifier. It is out of my expectation.

IMO, it's a really good unit and design. I encourage you to build it. It's really a awesome speaker design.

Attachments

• 2015-02-09 11.00.41.jpg
    2015-02-09 11.00.41.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 760
  • betsy1m.jpg
    betsy1m.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 1,221
  • betsy_listening.jpg
    betsy_listening.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 732
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi, all.

It's my WIBAQ. I finished it 2 wks ago and I'm really enjoying it.

I did not opt the BSC circuit.

First graph was taken at 1m, on axis and second one at 3m, my listening point. I'm using Thiel 22, Alpair 12.2P and Wibaq.

As you see in graphs, its performance is awesome. Its bass extension is satisfactory, Of course it cannot make a tight/fast punches as thiel 2.2 does, however, the amount and extension is enough to enjoying Jazz / Classical music. I don't have to turn my my sub on while listening music.

It makes a very detailed sound. It delivers musical nuance very well. The sound stage is not so wide. Its stage is limited btw 2 speakers, not go out of them. And unfortunately resoution is sometimes not enough to play the orchestral music - location of instruments is not clearly drawn when playing symphonies. It plays Jazz / Chamber music very well, not orchestral works.

It does not do well with my SET - using 205D tubes. It works well with my Firstwatt J2 / Berning 230EA amplifier. It is out of my expectation.

IMO, it's a really good unit and design. I encourage you to build it. It's really a awesome speaker design.

Very nice build! I can't quite read your RTA screenshots. What is your estimate of the f3 frequency? I recall the sim had it around 35Hz - how close are you getting to the predictions? Sims here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/full-range/320031d1356696610-wild-burrow-betsy-ported-speaker-betsyk-simulation-tabaq-style.pdf

Last edited:
Very nice build! I can't quite read your RTA screenshots. What is your estimate of the f3 frequency? I recall the sim had it around 35Hz - how close are you getting to the predictions? Sims here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/atta...ted-speaker-betsyk-simulation-tabaq-style.pdf

Dear xrk971
As you see, it's not an anechoic response. I measured it in my room. Thus, the response was spatially averaged.
However, I could observe a small peak at 48hz in every measurements. Thus I think 48hz may be the F3 frequency.

And in estimating this graph, I could assume its characteristics comparing to my previous measurement of Pensil design with Alpair 12.2 / Thiel 22. I think the limit of bass (-6dB) is around 40-45hz. It's better than my expectation.

Best,
Taek.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.