The WIBAQ: TABAQ Design with Betsy K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Maybe a zobel network is not needed because the baffle width is only 12.5 inches. (Still absorbing as much information as possible, really a noob at this right now)

If this is the case, then we should only need a simple resistor and inductor for the BSC.

Rparallel = Re x (10^db/20 -1)
Rparallel = 5.7 x (10^3/20 -1)
Rparallel = 5.7 x (10^0.15 -1)
Rparallel = 5.7 x 0.413
Rparallel = 5.7 x 0.413
Rparallel = 2.3541

Rparallel = 2.5 Ohms (Parts-Express)

f3 = 4560/Wb
f3 = 4560/12.5"
f3 = 364.8 Hz

Lbsc = Rparallel/(2 * Pi * f3)
Lbsc = 2.3541/(2 * Pi * 364.8)
Lbsc = 2.3541/2292.106
Lbsc = 1.0 mH

Lbsc = 1.0 mH (Parts-Express)

Last edited:
Or save your amplifier power and eq it out. Or do the bsc at line level before amp and use much smaller/cheaper inductors and non power resistors. Bsc's burn off power and add phase altering stuff to an otherwise pure full range driver and amp.

My integrated amp does have a 5 band eq, one of which is about 500 hz, which would be convenient for this application. I do like the idea of having the zobel be at line level before the amp, though I listen to mostly vinyl using the amps built in preamp. I don't know how effective feeding a phono signal through a BSC would be.

Or save your amplifier power and eq it out. Or do the bsc at line level before amp and use much smaller/cheaper inductors and non power resistors. Bsc's burn off power and add phase altering stuff to an otherwise pure full range driver and amp.

Interesting, line level would be very nice considering I want to power these with a SET amplifier. You may have just saved me a hundred bucks!

Thanks!

Well this enclosure, being quarter wave resonant, would maintain that tune of 35 hz regardless of driver parameters. So if the driver handles "extreme tuning" as I believe Bjorn called it, than it should work. Some drivers require dampening from the enclosure, something that this enclosure design with its large volume and high density stuffing offers little of.

If you were to try the Tang Band W8-1808 it might work. It is very similar to the 1772 but with a higher Qts (along with some other parameters being different). I don't know if the TB drivers are really worth 4 times the price of the Betsy K though. For me, anyway, this is a build where I am trying to get the most out of a limited budget.

If you were to try the Tang Band W8-1808 it might work. It is very similar to the 1772 but with a higher Qts (along with some other parameters being different). I don't know if the TB drivers are really worth 4 times the price of the Betsy K though. For me, anyway, this is a build where I am trying to get the most out of a limited budget.

Yeah I agree, all in for this build with the Betsy-K I am looking at $215 and change. Really can't beat that, same price as one TB driver.

You don't want HD to do most of the cutting. I have yet to find a HD store where the blade on the panel saw wasn't dull. The nice veneer will be a mess. One might be better off spending a bit more and getting the 2x4 purebond sheets shipped to them. More veneer types available as well.

A cut plan for Home Depot:

1- Horizontal Rip 46 1/2" (or do 1/2" on one side first and then flip to do the othere side so you have nice edges)
2- 2x vertical rip 17 3/4" (or remove 1/2" first for nice edges)
3- 3x vertical rip 11"

Take the 11" boards to the cross saw

1- Cut first one to 15 3/8 (This is the front)
2- Second 11" board: cut a 16 1/4" piece (top)
3- From same board: cut a 17" piece (bottom)
4- From the same board: cut a 3 1/4" piece (port)

You still have about 25" or material left for braces, etc...

The best thing is to do all the same dimension cuts at the same time, so a little bit of planning is required.

(Am I reading the dimensions correctly?)

(You will need to watch/supervise the person doing the cuts and measurements to make sure they are doing it right. Talk nicely to them and tell them this is for a critical project :))

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.