The WIBAQ: TABAQ Design with Betsy K - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2012, 09:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The WIBAQ: TABAQ Design with Betsy K

This started on this thread here discussing the validity of a massive ported speaker design utilizing the Wild Burro Audio Betsy speaker. It eventually evolved into exploring different designs, with the final design being chosen as a MLTL similar in design to the TABAQ, first built by Bjohannesen.

Bjohannesen kindly simulated the Betsy K in a TABAQ-like enclosure (albeit much much bigger) with very positive results. Attached are the preliminary Sketchup model of the speaker. Material is 3/4" MDF/plywood, and the dimensions are internal. There is a close-up of the port dimensions. The simulation is also attached.

So, any feedback? These will be built eventually and will serve as my first home-built stereo speaker and will take the place of my White Van Special Acoustic Response 707 speakers (They were free...). Positive critiques are welcome.

EDIT: Please see page 11 for a link to an article that details the entire project and provides much of the information provided in this thread. The article is on Instructables and includes cutting plans, schematics, and links. Please check it out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIBAQ.jpg (55.6 KB, 1858 views)
File Type: jpg WIBAQ2.jpg (42.2 KB, 1771 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BetsyK simulation TABAQ style.pdf (198.0 KB, 311 views)

Last edited by Dumbledog; 11th March 2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Project Update
Old 31st December 2012, 11:06 PM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for sharing the design. Wow it is big! I think some of the dimensions can be rounded off, like the depth is 16 and 13/64 which is 16.203, perhaps 16 inches even or 16 and 1/4 inches would probably work fine. The port dimension is more critical so keep that. Looking forward to your build and listening impressions. The Betsy is a pretty popular driver because they are sold out as of now and it won't be another 2 months until in stock again... How is the scale of this speaker doing in the WAF department?
Old 31st December 2012, 11:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The WAF is not an issue. Im 18. But my mother is something to be worried about. She even dislikes the surround speakers we have in out family room, saying that a 5 by 4 inch speaker is "too distracting"

These are going to end up in my room (not a bad room for listening, since it is 12x18 although I share with my brother) or in the basement. My brother is not an audiophile like I am but he still thinks big speakers are cool looking. So all good there!
Old 1st January 2013, 12:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Happy Newyear!

I like the name of the construction :-)

A small down rounding as suggested by xrk971 should be OK.

I simulated alsi with a volume about 230 cm smaller, but you will get the most out of the driver as suggested where WAF has not been a parameter. I only used T/S parameters :-)

The bigger volume the more bass which is controlled by stuffing to avoid / reduce boom bass caused by room contribution.

Hi from
Bjorn
Old 1st January 2013, 02:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I will round down the depth to make construction easier. If everything seems in order, Bjorn, then ill probably start construction soon. I have to wait the two months to get the Betsy K though. Things are now getting exciting.

Happy New Year to everybody!
Old 1st January 2013, 02:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

That enclosure should work well.

You may find that the top end will be a little bright, if so the addition of a small inductor (say, 1 millihenry) and a resistor, paralleled with each other, and the combination of the two in series with the driver will tame it down. Post back when you get that far, I'm sure you can get some advice on that around here!
Old 1st January 2013, 02:44 AM   #7
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousymusician View Post
That enclosure should work well.

You may find that the top end will be a little bright, if so the addition of a small inductor (say, 1 millihenry) and a resistor, paralleled with each other, and the combination of the two in series with the driver will tame it down. Post back when you get that far, I'm sure you can get some advice on that around here!
You are describing a BSC circuit which Bjorn normally provides recommendations for from the sim. Hopefully, the Betsy will provide a lot of bass and may not be needed.
Old 1st January 2013, 02:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I'm familiar with some of the electrical design of a speaker system. I'm a basshead, so depending on how it sounds once its assembled a BSC circuit might be added. Besides, Bjorn offered to design a BSC once I decided on the baffle width
Old 5th January 2013, 11:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If I wanted to move the driver closer to the closed end so the center of the driver was closer to seated-ear-level, could I do so without detrimentally affecting the sound? I know the current placement of the driver 1/3 of the way down the line is to remove unwanted resonances, but if the driver were placed 1/5 of the way down the line (9 inches from the closed end) would that be a bad idea? I kinda want to preserve the flatness of the response, though I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of it if the imaging was better with the higher driver.
Old 6th January 2013, 08:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default WIBAQ - Driver 9" from the top

Hi Dumbledog

I would say the result is in fact slightly better when the driver is 9" from the top compared to the 15" driver offset.

By the way, it is the same with the TABAQ: Driver can be placed 5 cm higher up, and in the folded version the driver can be placed in the middle of the baffle.

I have enclosed SPL simulations.

Hi from
Bjorn
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WIBAQ - Driver 9 inch from top.pdf (102.5 KB, 513 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!