The WIBAQ: TABAQ Design with Betsy K - Page 9 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2013, 02:06 PM   #81
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

The speaker looks fantastic! Nice job on the bracing, strings, and overall fit. I like how it looks - a serious size with serious sound The height of the driver looks perfect. I can't wait to hear your first listening impressions. Will you be able to remove a panel to adjust stuffing or will it all be done through the driver cutout? Not a big deal since the hole is 8 inches and easy to put your arm through. Congratulations!
Old 27th February 2013, 08:47 PM   #82
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the positive feedback. It's nice to hear seeing as this is my first speaker project. I have begun assembly of the next cabinet. It's moving right along.
Old 2nd March 2013, 04:13 AM   #83
diyAudio Member

First sound yet Dumbledog?
Old 2nd March 2013, 02:08 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

I listened to the finished speaker for a couple minutes. The bass does reach 35-40 hz pretty easily and it was LOUD for one driver. I only allowed myself 10 minutes because I didn't want to 'break in' one driver more than the other.

I will finish the other one today. Just have wiring, stuffing, attaching the other side and cabinet feet to go.
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:48 AM   #85
diyAudio Member

Are you stereo yet?
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:59 AM   #86
diyAudio Member

Not yet. The speaker was finished about an hour ago. But the glue smells so its going in my room tomorrow, since I need to sleep without being gassed to death tonight.
Old 3rd March 2013, 01:37 AM   #87
guangui is offline guangui  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

I like where this is going...A full range with 30-40 Hz capability in a design that is not too complicated. Nice!
Old 3rd March 2013, 05:21 PM   #88
diyAudio Member

Talking First Listening Impressions

First impressions in three words: Loud, bassy, detailed.

First impressions in more detail: The main selling point of the WiBAQ, going off of the feedback from people here, was its potential for strong bass. It sure delivers. The bass is clear, concise, and boom-free. And deep. Using a test CD I made, it was just possible to feel bass as low as 10 Hz. Around 20 Hz it becomes more noticeable, around 30 Hz its now safe to call 'loud', and by about 40 Hz it reaches just about as loud as it would get for the rest of the frequency sweep. The bass, despite its good extension and it being a mass loaded system, does not have the rumbling and boomy sound associated with most ported systems.

Now for the mids and highs. There is an extraordinary amount of detail, and the highs are well extended, which I was afraid they wouldn't be with an 8" driver. the mids are a bit "shouty" for my taste at high volume, and the highs a bit harsh. I think this is mainly because the drivers are not broken in yet. I bought them used here on the forum, but the seller said he bought these Betsy Ks with some regular Betsys to experiment with. He preferred the Betsys in his Rondo cabinet and only put a couple hours on the Betsy Ks. I will probably put in 25 hours or so of moderate-volume music to break them in before I start doing some more involved listening.

The music I used for this test varied widely. I started with 'Funeral' by Arcade Fire, which is more acoustic and complex in nature. Next I went to the other end of the scale, with 'Of The Blue Color Of The Sky' by Ok Go. This album is extremely bass-heavy, with complex distortions used on the vocals and instrumentals. Songs such as 'White Knuckles' and 'This Too Shall Pass' tend to make speakers fall flat on their face by simply overwhelming them, but these stood up very well. 'Skyscrapers' really highlights the clarity and detail of the bass.
Next I moved onto some of my favorite music; just about anything by Jack White. The White Stripes, by nature, were very simplistic but distortion heavy music. 'Im Slowly Turning Into You' off of 'Icky Thump' is a revealing song, where the drums and bass can interfere with the vocals at high volumes. This has been an issue on many speaker I have listened to, but not this pair. 'Instinct Blues' off of 'Get Behind Me Satan' has the same effect. With White's more complex music, such as that off of 'Blunderbuss', the speakers also shine.
With more simple acoustic-guitar-and-vocals type music, the speakers sound extremely lifelike, with voices being airier and natural, not so 'plasticy' like I have sometimes noticed. The guitar sounds like it's in the room with you, and not at all colored by the speakers.

So in conclusion: The speakers are very detailed and lifelike, and have extraordinary frequency extension. The highs and mids shout and are a bit harsh at high volumes,though this listening test was done with drivers that are not broken in. With the speakers costing my about 250 dollars for the pair, and being so simple to make, this was a great beginners project and a fantastic speaker design overall. Credit for the fantastic design has to go to Bjorn.

Next step would be to finish the cabinets once the weather warms up in New England and I can do it outdoors. Also, if the mids and highs don't calm down once the drivers have broken in like I am hoping, I might attempt to Enabl the drivers.
Old 3rd March 2013, 06:26 PM   #89
diyAudio Member

Awesome!
Bjorn has another winner here!

The shout might be reduced with BSC circuit.
Old 3rd March 2013, 06:34 PM   #90
diyAudio Member

Using the calculator for a BSC circuit on the diyaudioprojects.com website, I got this for the BSC circuit:

F3: 365 Hz
Lbsc: 2.5 mH
Rbsc: 5.7 ohms

That is for 6db of attenuation.

Hide this!Advertise here!