Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th March 2013, 09:14 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Smile Prospective Builders, READ THIS:

This is important for anyone planning on building the WiBAQ:

Just published the WiBAQ project on Instructables. The article details assembly tips, has a cutting plan for the plywood, links to order parts, etc. etc. This is an important resource for a first time builder or to just get a better idea of the project.

Please check it out and vote for it in the Up! contest, which should feature it hopefully by sometime in the next 24 hours. If you are reading this after April 1st, 2013, the contest has ended. Thanks!!
Old 11th March 2013, 09:57 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the credits :-)
Old 11th March 2013, 10:03 PM   #103
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Dumbledog,
Nice Instructables entry. Great detail and tips, I am very impressed with your motivation and can do spirit and what you have done considering how young you are. I have to say that from the time you got the dimensions from Bjorn's sims, to the time you are listening is very fast for a plywood project this big. Most of us on these forums, I fear, are bordering on being called old f@rts. I wish I discovered diy audio when I was in high school. I wouldn't have had to listen to bad or mediocre speakers for all these years!
How do you vote on instructables?
Regards,
X

Last edited by xrk971; 11th March 2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11th March 2013, 10:31 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

The project will eventually be here, but the contest is moderated so it has to be reviewed before its put up. Once it has been accepted into the contest, then a 'Vote!' button shaped like an orange ribbon will appear near the top right below the search bar. By some point tomorrow it should be up.
Old 13th March 2013, 01:55 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

I just posted a new thread called Accidental Mass Loaded Transmission Line (AMLTL) Technique here: Accidental MLTL Technique

I ran a test case of comparing what the AMLTL technique will get for a Betsy K where I assume a cabinet height and baffle width the same as the WIBAQ. It was very surprising how close the design came out considering no MJK simulation was used.
Old 13th March 2013, 02:19 PM   #106
Squeak is online now Squeak  Denmark
diyAudio Member

And by close you mean...?
This is really interesting for us who use OSX or for people who want to go commercial without paying up. X0/
Old 13th March 2013, 02:25 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
And by close you mean...?
This is really interesting for us who use OSX or for people who want to go commercial without paying up. X0/
Within 1.5%.

For the purpose of the test case, I assumed the same cabinet height and baffle width, and vent height dimensions. After setting the desired tuning freq to reach down to 35 Hz, WinISD produced a volume that yielded a cabinet depth of 15.8 in vs 16.25 in (per WIBAQ) and an identical vent length! Essentially a perfect match using no MJK whatsoever. The 45 in cabinet height will affect things if you do not choose that to be close but that was based on practical considerations of how tall a cabinet should be to get driver close to ear height.

Give it a shot! Try against another well known MLTL design. I have similar experience when tested against 3 in TABAQ design.

But I have to say that this was not in any way meant as a way to circumvent paying licensing or royalties for use of MJK sims for commercial purposes! Rather, as a means for people to get a reasonable MLTL design for an arbitrary driver, given no simulation is available.

Last edited by xrk971; 13th March 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 13th March 2013, 11:50 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Still, its pretty interesting that the results are so repeatable from program to program like that. I think it verifies how much we are finally beginning to understand about audio- we're no longer in the 'dark ages' before Thiele/Small and being able to mathematically quantify driver properties with a dramatic amount of accuracy
Old 14th March 2013, 10:53 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

Talking Voting is Open!

The voting on Instructables is now open. I appreciate all the support I receive here on the forums and would appreciate if people were to vote for the WiBAQ Speakers in the Up! contest. The link to the contest page is above, but the voting button is also on the Instructable itself. Thanks!
Old 26th March 2013, 11:10 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

Voted. I have a few questions.

Do you have any REW graphs for how they sound from your standard listening spot?

If you get the wood from Home Depot/Lowes, will they router out a hole for you?

I see you have these in a tight space next to wall in the instructable. Do they sound better farther away?

Hide this!Advertise here!