TL-design box for W5-1611sa

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think this driver may be discontinued - at least it is not available at PE anymore, the ferrite version of it is available however: Tang Band W5-1611SAF 5" Full Range Speaker 264-918 About $50 USD.

A good TL design by Bjohanessen is available on the TABAQ thread post number 482 at: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/88787-tabaq-tl-tang-band-49.html

Design is here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachments/full-range/318653d1355985377-tabaq-tl-tang-band-tabaq-large-w51611saf.pdf

The simulation looks very good, as all of Bjorn's TABAQ's usually are - flat as a board response in the bass department with extension down into 30 Hz - see attached image from Bjorn's sim. Give it a try, we are all wondering how it will sound.
Regards,
Xrk971

Attachments

• TABAQ-w5-1611saf.png
    TABAQ-w5-1611saf.png
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,436
Last edited:
Hi
Xrk971 thank you for your cooperation. Is someone made this TL-box and the sound it this speaker gives. Otherwise I have LM1875 audio amplifier and preamplifier with tube/valve ECC88 and I'd like to I create this TL-speakers with W5-1611sa.
Best Regards

Hi Gost, I have a pair of W5-1611 in a box of my own design. I think they sound awesome. :) I attempted a double bass reflex cabinet to reduce cone excursion but quite frankly my speakers cannot handle deep bass. Perhaps the TL design will work better, and to be honest, had this design been available last year I probably would have built that instead.

Hi all!
Hi xrk971!
I made a TL-box for projects db616TL (Parts Express). Is this TL can adjust back box for full range speaker W5-1611sa?
What is the difference between the W5-1611sa and W5-1611saf?
Thank you for your cooperation.
Cheers!:cheers:

Attachments

• db616TL.jpg
    db616TL.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,300
Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I'd say they are competive. Particularily if you want some bottom, like it smooth (a bit too smooth maybe) and are willing to live without ultimate top or are willing to add a super-tweeter.

Shipping to Boliva could cost as much the drivers.

Mine are treated and priced $20 over the last sale price (same as the ceramic magnet sells for now) and $20 less than the pre-sale price.

dave

Gost, the W5 drivers are definitely very good. If you can get them for a reasonable price then I think you should certainly go for it. I've been listening to mine for almost two years now and I've been very happy; I still have no overwhelming urge to upgrade. I think this is because even if they're not the best in terms of bass or treble extension, they don't do anything poorly or have any obvious flaws, e.g. shouty midrange, peaky treble, super-limited xmax, low efficiency, etcetera. This may be true for many other drivers but not usually for this price range.

Gost, the W5 drivers are definitely very good. If you can get them for a reasonable price then I think you should certainly go for it. I've been listening to mine for almost two years now and I've been very happy; I still have no overwhelming urge to upgrade. I think this is because even if they're not the best in terms of bass or treble extension, they don't do anything poorly or have any obvious flaws, e.g. shouty midrange, peaky treble, super-limited xmax, low efficiency, etcetera. This may be true for many other drivers but not usually for this price range.
Hi chazdrumzalot!
What kind of box for these speakers you use W5-1611sa.
If you can insert picture or sketch.
thank you
Best Regards!:hohoho:

Hi xrk971!
Can you give a general explanation of what it means Sd-in cm^2 on speakers, or what is the area?
Hi all!
I need a website where I can find the full range speakers from 5 " or 5 1/2".
Addresses in Europe where they are available.
thank you on all!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.