TL-design box for W5-1611sa

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Can you give a general explanation of what it means Sd-in cm^2 on speakers, or what is the area?

Cross sectional area of the cone.

I need a website where I can find the full range speakers from 5 " or 5 1/2". Addresses in Europe where they are available.
thank you on all!

A few minutes doing a search via Google or any of the other engines will reveal a few. Spectrum Audio, Europe Audio, Blue Planet Acoustic, Lautsprecher etc. all stock a wide variety of products. Come on, be a bit proactive.

Last edited:
Hi guys!
Anyway I chose the full range (50Hz...16kHz) speaker Visaton BG20 (27 EUR for piece), so please recommend a project (design) box for this speaker, percent for this full range speaker W5-1611saf in Europe seeking 85 Eur for piece!!?.:hbeat::nownow:
Cheers!:cheers:

Last edited:
...And here it is. 1/5 taper, 43hz tuning. Very compact albeit deep. A SUPER XL desktop TL, as it were. ;)

Attachments

• W5-1611 MLTL 2.jpg
    W5-1611 MLTL 2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 819
  • W5-1611 MLTL 3.jpg
    W5-1611 MLTL 3.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 803
I apologize much is clear for nothing , that the sectional area of the cone?:confused::(
Thank you!

It is the surface area of the cone. I'm afraid I can't think of a way to express it more simply. All two dimensional shapes have a surface area. This is given in terms of the square of a given unit. For loudspeaker drivers, this is usually square inches, square centimetres or square metres, abbreviated as 'Sd.'

Last edited:
Nice pipe. Hey Chaz -- will these be floor units like your OB design was? Just thinking maybe you might want to tilt the baffle back so that you get some HF when seated a ways away. That's one mistake I made when I made a small floor box. FWIW.
Good point, and yes, I'm thinking of at least propping the speakers up from the front. It would look really nice to build them with a slanted baffle though.

Henkjan, many thanks to you for running those simulations. The 5db dip at 300hz seems too deep and broad to make this a really good design; will changing the taper of the TL have any significant effect on that? If not, maybe I'll still give this a try just to compare it to my DBR design.

1st: in real life, these dips will be less than simulated.

if the taper is increased, then the line length will decrease (for a given tuning) and the frequency of the dip increase, increasing the effectiveness of the stuffing in eliminating the dip. lower tuning will have an effect in the same direction. I'll do some additional runs later in the week.

Perhaps 43hz is a little too ambitious for a tapered line. Maybe a higher tuning is the way to go, say 48 or 50hz?

By the way, when I play around with the worksheets (in this case, the W5 driver with 50hz tuning in various iterations) I tend to get cabinets that are very short and deep, sometimes deeper than they are tall. changing the taper doesn't seem to do much. Am I doing something wrong?

Gonna have a crack at the TABAQ

I've got my w5 TBs and my front and sides cut didn't have enough off cut for the top and bottoms will need another trip to the hardware store

My local only had 16 mm MDF so I made the necessary adjustments to keep the same internal dimensions

Question will it effect the boxes tuning if I rounded the port opening and front edges asthteticly I think it would be better

What about stuffing it mentioned it need some in the top third what would be best to use

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    777.3 KB · Views: 450
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.