calculating of a BVR-enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Inspired by WHT-acoustic model PR4 I try to calculate a bass-section for bilding an BVR-enclosure: Full range+bass-section. My bass-driver has very suitable data for BR but this kind of enclosure I am not interested in because of heavy and slow bass. Love horn bass, but dimensions for one with 12" driver would be very huge.
Below I post some simulation in hornresp.
T/S-data for Bass-driver:
Fs 33Hz
Vas 248 L
Sd 464 cm2
Qts 0,383
Mms 27,67 g
Le 0,8mH
Bl 9,6

My questions would be:
1. If the T/S parameters are well suitable for this enclosure? According to the simulated data I have Fb 36 Hz (-6dB) with group delay below 11ms.
2. Are these good data for this kind of enclosure I can get?
3. As alternative enclosure I can build e small sized BR tuned a little higher then Fs of the driver. In my case 36 Hz.

Please give some comment.

Attachments

• input parameters.jpg
    input parameters.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 333
  • SPL Response.jpg
    SPL Response.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 334
  • group delay.jpg
    group delay.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 327
  • schematic diagramm.jpg
    schematic diagramm.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
No, you inputted the T/S specs wrong [Cms, Mmd], plus the response is just for the vent, so use the 'combined response' in TOOLs to see the speaker response.

If you want a prosound 'scoop bin' type of response, then you're close, otherwise tuning it for a bit less mid-bass gain and extending the 'bump' higher in frequency will typically work better in a HIFI app.

GM

No, you inputted the T/S specs wrong [Cms, Mmd], plus the response is just for the vent, so use the 'combined response' in TOOLs to see the speaker response.

If you want a prosound 'scoop bin' type of response, then you're close, otherwise tuning it for a bit less mid-bass gain and extending the 'bump' higher in frequency will typically work better in a HIFI app.

GM

Hi GM

I cheked the T/S specs of my driver (Cms = 0,8112 mm/N and Mmd = 22,93 g), these are correct. May be I did not understand you what do you mean.

Just corrected some input par. and I think I am close to the wanted simulation. Have some doubt about a peak apr. 163 Hz very close to the main response of a bass-driver. Can I turn off this peak with a damping material without making the bass viscous?

Attachments

• phase response.jpg
    phase response.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 29
  • diaphragm displacement.jpg
    diaphragm displacement.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 30
  • group delay.jpg
    group delay.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 48
  • SPL response.jpg
    SPL response.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 62
  • input paramenters.jpg
    input paramenters.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 303

GM

Joined 2003
OK, then double click on 'Sd', then 'yes' to see the way off specs HR is using.

Normal damping of the cab will flatten high Q peaks, dips and overall response can be fine tuned by damping the vent/horn's throat and/or its terminus perimeter to damp down its eigenmodes.

GM

OK, then double click on 'Sd', then 'yes' to see the way off specs HR is using.

Normal damping of the cab will flatten high Q peaks, dips and overall response can be fine tuned by damping the vent/horn's throat and/or its terminus perimeter to damp down its eigenmodes.

GM

Yes, It was wrong - the Cms.
Now, I have very different situation. My JBL-simulation in BR-enclosure with vent gives the same thing like in hornresp with the scoop. May be this driver does not suit for BVR?

Attachments

• JBL for BR.jpg
    JBL for BR.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 53
  • group delay.jpg
    group delay.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 43
I don't follow. For one, I get a quite different combined response from your latest ones, though it's very close to the one I calculated initially except mine is a little larger at 143.736 L.

Yours has a better group delay down low, but that's because the 'horn' is a bit too small.

Attached is mine with what I get for your design in shadow:

GM

Attachments

• SCS-300 woofer BVR comparison.gif
    SCS-300 woofer BVR comparison.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 76
  • SCS-300 woofer BVR group delay comparison.gif
    SCS-300 woofer BVR group delay comparison.gif
    12.5 KB · Views: 65
A new try. BVR for bass-section (cut off 290 Hz).
The same in BR-enclosure pipe ported.

Honest I do not see any benefits of BVR.
The full range driver has average sensivity 93 db. Up 2 kHz till 12 kHz 95-96 dB.
Should I build the normal BR or BVR?

I`ve simulate also another driver with low Qts for (BLH-enclosures) which do not work in any BR-enclosures. So I `ve got an interesting result.

Attachments

• SPL 12` (110 L).jpg
    SPL 12` (110 L).jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 56
  • group delay 12` (110 L).jpg
    group delay 12` (110 L).jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 46
  • BR (12` 115 L).jpg
    BR (12` 115 L).jpg
    606.7 KB · Views: 46
Hi,
My bass-driver has very suitable data for BR but this kind of
enclosure I am not interested in because of heavy and slow bass.
T/S-data for Bass-driver:
Fs 33Hz
Vas 248 L
Sd 464 cm2
Qts 0,383
Mms 27,67 g
Le 0,8mH
Bl 9,6

Please give some comment.

Hi,

Sealed is 120L for Q=0.7, classic vented 240L tuned to 33Hz.

Nothing heavy and slow about 240L tuned to 22Hz.
Quasi first order roll-off and -10dB at 20Hz.

Both sealed and vented are about -18dB at 20Hz.

rgds, sreten.

300L and 20Hz tuning, 200L and 24Hz, are also options.

Last edited:
Hi,
Sealed is 120L for Q=0.7, classic vented 240L tuned to 33Hz.
Nothing heavy and slow about 240L tuned to 22Hz.
Quasi first order roll-off and -10dB at 20Hz.
Both sealed and vented are about -18dB at 20Hz.
rgds, sreten.
300L and 20Hz tuning, 200L and 24Hz, are also options.

O.K. Thank you. But what about a monstrous group delay? I simulated a ported box with volume 240 L - the GD was above 22 mc. Some guy built the recomended enclosure for this bass-driver (specs. very similar to the a.m.) - appr. 145 L and was little disappointed about slow bass. I asked him, what would he do now after getting this experience - he said he would build smaller enclosure 115 Liter with higher tuning.

My intension was to find another enclosure for this driver with a faster sound. I was in hope that BVR would be the one.

Another possible problem with very low tuned enclosure is the room instalation.

May be it is also a question of our taste?:)

Hi,

Group delay is poorly understood and the subject of much nonsense.
It inevitably increases with good bass extension (at low frequencies).

Your friend is completely wrong IMO, lowering the port tuning is the
answer, it speeds up the bass with a leaner but deeper extension.

Low port tunings with a quasi first order roll-off match most rooms far
better than standard vented and sealed, and go a lot deeper with more
low bass powerhandling than the same sealed, but sealed is an option.

Nothing to do with taste, or opinion, if you haven't tried it.

rgds, sreten.

I agree with sreten here. A small box will limit tuning flexibility and probably sound boomier in-room, with less extension ultimately. I've been using a 15" mid-bass in a large-ish, low-tuned box for some months now. There is a ~1st order roll-off under ~100Hz which gradually gets steeper and f3=60Hz and f10=32Hz. Matches my 10'x13' room very well. I might tune somewhat higher if I were using a subwoofer though, but not much. I had 7" isobaric hi-fi towers before that, truly flat to 40Hz and they had somewhat exagerated bass IMO. Sounded "looser" as well.

IG

Hi,
Group delay is poorly understood and the subject of much nonsense.
It inevitably increases with good bass extension (at low frequencies).
Your friend is completely wrong IMO, lowering the port tuning is the
answer, it speeds up the bass with a leaner but deeper extension.
Low port tunings with a quasi first order roll-off match most rooms far
better than standard vented and sealed, and go a lot deeper with more
low bass powerhandling than the same sealed, but sealed is an option.
Nothing to do with taste, or opinion, if you haven't tried it.
rgds, sreten.

Two years ago I built the full range Sonido in BR-enclosure with larger volume and deeper tuned port. The sound level presure at LF was not enough that is because the FR of the full ranger was sloped from top to bottom and lower tuned bass enclosure had even less sound pressure at LF.

The sensivity of the a.m. bass driver 12" is a little higher then of the full ranger but I am not sure if it is enogh. That would be also one criterion for choice of the enclosure type and port tuning. I post below data of the both driver. They are two matched pairs but with the fine tuning I can change the sound signature of the speaker.

Attachments

• SFR 175At.doc
    62.5 KB · Views: 44
  • CW300 110602.doc
    30 KB · Views: 38
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.