which speaker for Zigmahornets - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2012, 01:26 PM   #1
ttn0001 is offline ttn0001  United States
diyAudio Member

Default which speaker for Zigmahornets

Building new speakers to meet the WAF. Has anyone used the new DCA4 in a zigmahornet cab? The new Merrill DCA4 is about $140 shipped and Fostex FE103EN is about $100. Deciding between these two drivers.
Old 29th December 2012, 07:51 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttn0001 View Post
Building new speakers to meet the WAF. Has anyone used the new DCA4 in a zigmahornet cab? The new Merrill DCA4 is about $140 shipped and Fostex FE103EN is about $100. Deciding between these two drivers.

have you committed material to the enclosures yet? if not, I can think of at least 2 or 3 other designs that will outperform them with either of the named drivers - as for which, I can't say about the new DCA4s, but the FE103En or FF105WK are quite delightful, and rather less money
Old 29th December 2012, 09:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have not committed to an enclosure. If there is something similar to the ziggs then I'm sure the wife will like. What other designs do you recommend with these drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
have you committed material to the enclosures yet? if not, I can think of at least 2 or 3 other designs that will outperform them with either of the named drivers - as for which, I can't say about the new DCA4s, but the FE103En or FF105WK are quite delightful, and rather less money
Old 29th December 2012, 09:55 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The Tony Gee Solo 103 (or similar) will extract more bass.

Click the image to open in full size.

The Vampyr-V was designed to target a similar aesthetic.

Performance dictated a bit more girth. Our recent build with FF105wKeN worked out well ... we went for a bit different aesthetic.

dave
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

My first speaker project was the Zigmahornet. It is an older design, from the days before complex modelling was available to everyone.
It is reasonably ok with acoustic music but you can rally hear the limitations in the bass for anything else. For more universal music enjoyment I would use a bigger speaker. Depending on the design, Waf doesn't need to be worse. Zigmas are slender yet still very visible in a living room.
Also the cabinet lengths above and below the driver are directly linked to the FE103's specs. I have seen the formulas (sorry I lack the knowledge to reproduce them) and indeed it fitted perfectly. Do NOT assume that the design will work well with other drivers.

Last edited by talaerts; 2nd January 2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 6th January 2013, 12:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Since this will be my 1st DIY speaker, I'm leaning toward the FE103EN in a zigmahornet cabinet. This will be cheap to build and not so hard. I have a Velodyne HGS-10 servo-sub that hopefully can match well this the Zigmas.

Hide this!Advertise here!