which speaker for Zigmahornets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Building new speakers to meet the WAF. Has anyone used the new DCA4 in a zigmahornet cab? The new Merrill DCA4 is about $140 shipped and Fostex FE103EN is about $100. Deciding between these two drivers.

have you committed material to the enclosures yet? if not, I can think of at least 2 or 3 other designs that will outperform them with either of the named drivers - as for which, I can't say about the new DCA4s, but the FE103En or FF105WK are quite delightful, and rather less money

I have not committed to an enclosure. If there is something similar to the ziggs then I'm sure the wife will like. What other designs do you recommend with these drivers?

have you committed material to the enclosures yet? if not, I can think of at least 2 or 3 other designs that will outperform them with either of the named drivers - as for which, I can't say about the new DCA4s, but the FE103En or FF105WK are quite delightful, and rather less money

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The Tony Gee Solo 103 (or similar) will extract more bass.

320288d1356821424-original-enclosures-fostex-103s-solo103.jpg

The Vampyr-V was designed to target a similar aesthetic.

vampyr-V-c-3d.gif

Performance dictated a bit more girth. Our recent build with FF105wKeN worked out well ... we went for a bit different aesthetic.

blue-vampyr-V-comp.jpg

dave

My first speaker project was the Zigmahornet. It is an older design, from the days before complex modelling was available to everyone.
It is reasonably ok with acoustic music but you can rally hear the limitations in the bass for anything else. For more universal music enjoyment I would use a bigger speaker. Depending on the design, Waf doesn't need to be worse. Zigmas are slender yet still very visible in a living room.
Also the cabinet lengths above and below the driver are directly linked to the FE103's specs. I have seen the formulas (sorry I lack the knowledge to reproduce them) and indeed it fitted perfectly. Do NOT assume that the design will work well with other drivers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.