Wild Burro Betsy OB Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2012, 12:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Wild Burro Betsy OB Build

I'm taking my first crack at an open baffle speaker design build. I've built a couple of speakers in the past, mostly *boring* 2-way ported low-efficency towers and such -- but have been recently bitten by the low-wattage SET amp bug and cross-overless, boxless speaker bug...

I stumbled on the Wild Burro Betsy, and they are intriguing to say the least.

I figured for my first build, I'd stick with Paul's design and experiment from there (hey -- I can always use the OBs for shelves later if I don't like them --).

So for my build I've decided on some stain grade laminated pine panels that I found at Lowe's. Sadly, no access to a wood shop anymore...

The total Lowe's trip was $136 -- the wood was a bit expensive but it will look nice when done, I think.

The main panel with the speaker is 12" x 48". The outside panels are also 12" x 48". The inside panels are 16" x 48".

I did splurge for the 48" piano hinges.

I made some good progress today -- using a rotozip, I cut out the 7 3/8" hole for the driver 26" up on the panels.

For finishing, I am keeping it simple, using clear shellac.

Front panels after cutting out the driver holes:
Click the image to open in full size.

First coat of shellac on the fronts:

I'm very excited about this build, and if all that I have read about the Betsy drivers, OB midrange and soundstage detail are true, I have a lot to look forward to for these!

I'll update this post as I complete the build and will take measurements in my listening room.

I still have to decide on a complete audio chain. Right now I am leaning towards the following:

Mac Mini --> USB Halide Design Dac HD --> Bottlehead SET or Decware Super Zen Triode --> DIY Betsy OBs.

Would love your thoughts/suggestions on the build.
Old 29th December 2012, 01:39 AM   #2
Urchinn is offline Urchinn  United States
diyAudio Member

Can't wait to hear your critique on these OB's!
Old 29th December 2012, 02:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Me too!! Should have the cabinets built up today. Have a couple of more coats of lacquer to get on there and then attach the hinges.

Going to try and find cork placements to put on the back baffles.
Old 29th December 2012, 03:58 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

As I also just ordered Betsy's I am also very interested in your experience! You are using slightly different baffle size than suggested at Paul's web site. Any reason for that?

Mike
Old 29th December 2012, 04:43 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Mike --

I changed up the baffle size because that is what Lowe's had for wood. Paul said that a few inches here or there won't matter and bigger should be better, right? I'm not sure -- we will have to see.

Dan
Old 29th December 2012, 04:50 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I think they look fantastic! I have the Burro Betsy and Betsy K.... You're in for a real treat.
Great baffle choice. I've built a pair of piano hinged, winged baffles and it is my favorite of all the different ones I've built over the years. So much flexibility. You'll observe quickly how baffle width impacts bass and changes the imaging.

Your audio chain plans look great. The Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3 would be enough power. The Decware is great too. (I owned one for years)
I'm using a Class D amplifier with mine and the sound is stunning. It's all a matter of different flavors.
Great job and way to jump in!

Last edited by cervelorider; 29th December 2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: removed quote
Old 29th December 2012, 05:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danvprod View Post
Hi Mike --

I changed up the baffle size because that is what Lowe's had for wood. Paul said that a few inches here or there won't matter and bigger should be better, right? I'm not sure -- we will have to see.

Dan
Paul is correct. You'll discover quickly that placement in the room and wing positioning will affect the sound WAY more than a few inches in baffle dimension variance.
Old 29th December 2012, 06:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervelorider View Post
Paul is correct. You'll discover quickly that placement in the room and wing positioning will affect the sound WAY more than a few inches in baffle dimension variance.
Very cool --

That is what I was thinking as well. I may experiment with some absorption materials as well.

I found some rolls of adhesive-backed cork at target this morning, which I will laminate to the back of the baffles.

I may also experiment with some of the adhesive-backed duct liner that is made from recycled cotton:
Recycled Cotton Acoustical Liner ? HVAC ? Multipurpose

Now my Betsys just need to get here!!

Off to put another coat of shellac on the backs and attach the hinges. I'll post some pics later this evening.
Old 30th December 2012, 08:35 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Made some good progress on the build:

There are a LOT of screws needed on those piano hinges...

And set up in their listening location --

I did find out that there is a slight setback in that Paul had sold out of the regular betsy drivers right as I was paying for them -- so I am going to try with a pair of BestyKs with some series resistance.

I did see this thread --
50% off to take Betsy where she's never been!

Which suggests a 25-ohm series resistor, but that seems a bit high to me...
Old 30th December 2012, 09:29 PM   #10
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Looks very nice. This material reminds me of Pergo synthetic wood floor boards. I wonder if those can be used for open baffle?
Would be very economical as they come in bulk.

Last edited by xrk971; 30th December 2012 at 09:33 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!