Wild Burro Betsy OB Build - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2013, 11:01 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default JE labs baffle?

Happy New Year to all of you.

I have also orderd a pair of Betsy's and wait (impatiently ) for their arrival. Got inspired by Fleawatt's posting in the Bottlehead forum.

Here is my question: Has anyone tried a JE labs baffle with the Betsy's? Why or why not?

Thanks for your opinions.

Michael
Old 1st January 2013, 03:20 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmer64 View Post
Happy New Year to all of you.

I have also orderd a pair of Betsy's and wait (impatiently ) for their arrival. Got inspired by Fleawatt's posting in the Bottlehead forum.

Here is my question: Has anyone tried a JE labs baffle with the Betsy's? Why or why not?

Thanks for your opinions.

Michael
Here is one thread on it:
JE Labs open baffle advice?

Paul recommends it as well:
Wild Burro Audio Labs - Fullrange Speakers - The Betsy & Betsy-K Drivers

BTW my drivers get here tomorrow!!

Has anyone have any suggestions about dampening the back of the baffles? Would just adhesive cork board work, or should I do something else?

Dan
Old 1st January 2013, 10:34 PM   #23
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

From just listening tests long ago, the various cork products I tried were all too hard to be of any use beyond decorative, so switched to thick felt or jute carpet padding, which worked well, but I still preferred the old fashioned way of loosely fastening an acoustic fiberglass insulation 'blanket' over the rear of the driver[s] and covered with a double knit or similar cloth to contain it to make it act similar to a very low Qt [lossy] box.

GM

edit: the driver[s] need to be covered with cheesecloth before adding the insulation.

Last edited by GM; 1st January 2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old 2nd January 2013, 02:45 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Thanks, GM for the reco. I'm going to listen first and then treat from there, if needed.

Dan
Old 6th January 2013, 01:31 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

OK -- project update.
Click the image to open in full size.

Baffles are built and BetsyKs are installed. DIY Cat5e speaker cables built. I'm only using 2 of the leads in the Cat 5 per side to add a bit of resistance to tame the HF response.

Amplifier is a Class D TPA3122 based on @cervelorider's reco. I have it powered by a 12v SLA battery. It sounds amazing!

They speakers sound really good on most things -- but I've noticed that on certain instruments, mainly solo piano this happens (listen to the distortion/resonance in the last few seconds of this video):
Distortion Issue with BetsyK driver

That little amp can certainly drive them to a perfect listening volume (I've been listening between 25-33% volume on the pot) -- and I love the battery powered setup (right now I am either using my iPad/iPhone as a source or my turntable. The turntable setup rocks, perfect match for this amp and speakers).

I did end up swapping out the piano hinges for a black duct tape/regular hinge solution, as I thought that this was causing the resonance. In retrospect, I would not recommend the piano hinges at all for a project like this. They are too expensive and way too many screws.

To cure the resonance/distortion issue with this driver, I tried the following:

1) Removed both piano hinges (as I thought they might be rattling).
2) Taped up hinges first and then installed new hinges (2 per side, 2" medium hinge).
3) Switched drivers on baffles. (left for right) -- to see if it was the baffle or the speaker.
4) No matter what I did this is the distortion I get. I checked the interconnects, the speaker terminals the wires. The VC is not rubbing. It seems to only manifest itself on piano, but only on this speaker (the other speaker does not have this distortion. It's the oddest thing.

I am open to any ideas or thoughts you may have, especially since only one speaker is doing on it, no matter what baffle I install it on.

Last edited by danvprod; 6th January 2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 6th January 2013, 02:08 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

It appears it is an issue with the driver. I'm sure Paul will send you a replacement.
Old 6th January 2013, 04:25 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Oh yeah.... and your system looks and sounds awesome.

Enjoy the music!
Old 6th January 2013, 07:35 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Just to factor everything else out, I would also try another amp. Not that I don't trust the little class D amp (built one myself :-)), but I would recommend to make sure.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Michael

Old 6th January 2013, 08:00 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Here are some impedance traces of the drivers. This is through my Cat5 speaker cable. Measured with Impedance sweep module of AudioTools on my iPad with an iAudioInterface2.

Fs is 51.59 and 54.96 vs published 49.959. Re is 4.50 and 5.24 vs. published 5.7
Old 6th January 2013, 08:02 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

He switched the driver from the left side to the right side and the distortion issue followed the driver. If it were the amp, it would be safe to say that the distortion would be channel specific. Right or left. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmer64 View Post
Just to factor everything else out, I would also try another amp. Not that I don't trust the little class D amp (built one myself :-)), but I would recommend to make sure.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Michael

Hide this!Advertise here!