Need help: Car speaker driver specs and cabinet!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I just bought a used pair of car speakers and thinking of making cabinet for them. The seller provided no specs. All I can see from the items are : 28156 eu00A CHN.
I searched for the specs and the results come out with:
28156-EU00A - Nissan SPEAKER UNIT
6", 4Ohm
No further information

(I am sorry I cannot attach the picture here, but the same can be seen at 07 10 Nissan Versa Front Right Speaker 6" 28156 EU00A | eBay

I have no idea this is fullrange or what? Specs?
Is it OK if I make the cabinet for them and which cabinet is for these drivers? I am thinking of a diy project during holiday.

Please help!

Many Thanks
HT

Hi,

The speaker you have chosen looks like it is designed for mounting in doors.
Doors are usually leaky, so a high Qts is needed to get any bass. High Qts is difficult to put into a "standard" cabinet, so...

I'd try open baffle,
or maybe a small cabinet with no back, and plenty of stuffing behind the driver.

Chris

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
If you have cheap drivers that you want to test out or make quick and easy speaker enclosures for without investing a lot of time or money, try making them out of foam core board and hot melt glue. It's fast and easy, and you may be surprised by how well they sound. If it sounds good enough, you can always make it out of wood later. These drivers don't look particularly promising for use in any project involving significant amounts of wood or time but could be fun for a set of background speakers. They do appear to be a full range unit with a whizzer cone. The problem with oem car speakers is that have very weak little magnets and motors and will not cover a wide range even though they are designed as 'full range'.

The thread for making speakers out of foam core is here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/223313-foam-core-board-speaker-enclosures.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.