cable & box terminal with alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So to sum up we are looking for 1,5mm to 3mm stranded cable , copper preferably because silver is too detailed and expensive of course .
I suppose we need some more clarification for the cross section. An other thing that I have in mind is that we need to emphasize the low frequencies that are not enough strong for this a speaker driver of this diameter. What cable specifications do you think could help?
and... happy new year to all of you!!

If you feel bass is inadequate with a drive unit of this size, then you either require a bigger drive unit or a large horn. Speaker wire does not produce bass. Nor does silver (or any other wire material for that matter) produce detail. It is the driver & the signal it is fed with that does that. The wire only acts as a filter, to a varying extent. It's a passive component that does not produce anything of its own devising.* It can only subtract. So all other things being equal and assuming no problems with excessive capacitance driving amplifiers into instability or triboelectric issues etc., a wire that appears to have more bass than one of an equivalent gauge likely has a higher inductance resulting in a low-pass filter effect that rolls off the higher frequencies.

A highly resistive wire can artificially raise the output impedance of the amplifier (or if you prefer, increase Qe, Qt, Re, drop B*L of a wideband drive unit), and thereby changing the box alignment.

FWIW, solid core wire has a slightly greater amount of conductor, gauge for gauge, than stranded, and since it has less surface area, it's less suseptable to corrosion effects if you happen to live in a humid environment. Going by memory, under a lengthy series of tests by various US bodies, copper flash plated with silver came out on top in terms of efficiency of signal transfer. Ordinary solid core ring mains cable came next. More to it than efficient signal transfer of course (connection losses are a big pain), and in high efficiency systems there can be some benefits to using relatively resistive wire, particularly on a mid or HF driver, but that's somewhat OT.

*Note: to an extent, there are some exceptions. Silver insulated with teflon is a highly triboelectric combination for example and ringing can under some conditions. Likewise RF pickup can be a problem in some environments. These are not however related to the signal being transmitted along the wire from amplifier to speaker & return.

Last edited:
noPiano - until you have an opportunity to hear a carefully broken-in pair of the selected drivers in the context of your complete system (i.e. enclosure / amp not yet indicated), all of these observations and technical discussions are no more than conjecture - entertaining and mostly harmless of course (i.e. if you've not actually heard the 7.3 in a well executed enclosure design, your assumption as to its LF response could be wrong - or not?)

The great thing about internal wire in a simple single driver enclosure is that it's usually not too hard to replace - terminals can be a different story. As Scott implies - or is it I infer? - passive speaker wire and line level interconnects for that matter can be considered a form of subtle tone control / amplifier damping factor adjustment ; and that's not even to start talking about the high-tech cabling with mystic active circuitry in black / gray boxes . Sooner or later don't we just need to say - "FFS -what I can hear now (as opposed to what your white paper says I must be missing?) is just fine"

FWIW, the couple of occasions in which I have directly compared Silver or SPC to roughly equivalent copper interconnect or speaker wire, I must disagree with Scott insofar as to the subjective effect- in one case the silver triaxial interconnect was overly bright and detailed to the point of harshness (this was quite a few years ago, in conjunction with SS amps and multiways, including Acoustat ESLs); while more recently, simple lightly twisted pair interconnects and/or speaker wire with SETs and full range drivers were very delicately more detailed and nuanced, particularly in terms of the sense of "air" & the 3rd D. No doubt there are technical reasons

sorry - geezer rant mode off - phivates none of this is directed at you

Happy New Year all y'all

Last edited:
I don't doubt the effect Chris. I'm merely pointing out that since wire can only be subtractive, silver cannot in itself be 'too detailed', as the OP described it, for the excellent reason that the detail is part of the signal, not something devised by the wire. If it were, we wouldn't need amplifiers or drive units. With that said, you can get some interesting effects. Teflon insulated silver can suffer from triboelectric ringing for e.g., which sometimes results in audible problems of the type described, & so on & so forth.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.