cable & box terminal with alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello ,

I am starting a project with alpair 7.3 which I will present it in the forum as soon as I have some carpenter work done.
First of all I would like to know what kind/size/maximum length of cable is suitable
1) to connect the driver with the speaker terminal
2) the speaker terminal with the amp

Secondly what kind of speaker terminals are best?
maybe I would prefer something for thin banana plugs

thanks
noPiano

hello ,

I am starting a project with alpair 7.3 which I will present it in the forum as soon as I have some carpenter work done.
First of all I would like to know what kind/size/maximum length of cable is suitable
1) to connect the driver with the speaker terminal
2) the speaker terminal with the amp

Secondly what kind of speaker terminals are best?
maybe I would prefer something for thin banana plugs

thanks
noPiano

"best"? - no such thing - or rather you'll never get a consensus, but my :2c:

-Inside the enclosure, I'd never use any thing but a soldered connection at both the driver and enclosure terminals

- Since we tend to swap speakers around a lot for demo / comparisons, a quick change connector is very handy, and we use cheap/low mass 5-way binding posts with 3/4" spacing that accommodates molded banana plugs (Pomona, etc), but can be very awkward if you're a fan of big spade terminals.

- Considering the amount of current draw by full range drivers such as the Alpair 7.3, the length of internal connection required, as well as the size of the voice coil conductors, it doesn't make sense to me to use anything larger than #20 inside the box (in fact I've been using #24 solid from CAT5 network for over 10yrs - it's dirt cheap and more than capable)

- While many of the more charitable forum contributors might be willing to grand the above point (with a smug grin of "but I know better, of course") , from the amp to the speaker enclosure is a different story- expect no mercy and plenty of energy spent on debating the merits of everything from #32 solid magnet wire to #2 welding cable , exotic braiding topologies and/more materials. I generally use the same #24 solid for runs shorter than 10ft, and nothing more elaborate than cheap #18 stranded from my local Home Depot

let the games begin

Hi Guys,
11 emails in the last 2 days asking me to comment on what I use when testing drivers and on my home system.

I've found Sommer AW16 gauge 1.5mm NYFAZ cable (Germany) works well. Its available in HK at moderate prices as allot of the pro audio guys use this brand.

sommer cable - Kabel Stageboxen Multicoresysteme Mikrofonkabel Stagebox Lautsprecherkabel XLR Stecker Gitarrenkabel Instrumentenkabel Neutrik Hicon

Cable similar to the quality of Sommer should be fine. I was given some very expensive exotic cables to test some years back, but couldn't detect any additional audible benefit.

Cheers
Mark

Binding posts/terminal cups

Here you go with some pics of what ChrisB has suggested.

Attachments

• rectangular 5 way binding post.jpg
    rectangular 5 way binding post.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 225
  • Round 5 way terminal binding post .jpg
    Round 5 way terminal binding post .jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 209
ChrisB: wire you saying such things? Do you then agree with those who suggest that the wire gauge of crossover components and voice coil leads should be the reference for the amp>speaker link? How could you?!?

how could I? easy -the OP was referencing using Alpair 7.3 - as best as I could parse from his post, a single per enclosure, not in a multi-way, so I don't think questions relating to gauges of wires in XO components is particularly relevant

but really, aren't there better issues about which to exercise ones' self?

I guess we'll soon see ;)

Last edited:
Now what are you drivelling about?

Hmm. You seem to be making an attempt at insulting Chris for employing 24ga wire. Presumably, this is based upon scientific principles (specifics unspecified). So. Using your extensive knowledge of Chris's speakers, amplifiers and the total loop-length (1 channel) of the wire he uses, please state your criteria for maximum acceptable voltage drop and the minimum wire gauge necessary for him to achieve this. I throw this out merely as one example of a host of factors which you obviously considered before posting.

Last edited:
Such as birch or maple sawdust?

Hi Phivates,
Its nice to see a bit of humour. I'm hoping you mean no personal dis-respect to ChrisB or any other member, your comments being merely to encourage debate. The risk with this approach is, in written form, your humourous intension could be mis-understood.

Judging from your posts, your possibly a believer in exotic cabling. If so, your next post has to include authoritative evidence or well documented research to demonstrate your point of view.

Bear in mind that Markaudio drivers while they are used in Multi-way systems are primarily single point source drivers, so cabling is the main issue rather than connecting between crossover components.

I'm all for honest debate on this part of the forum, provided its done with respect.

Mark.

Last edited:
I'm not snarking on ChrisB's commentary; I agree completely. I've used 4 wire phone cable in the past. And I'm no expert on any of this, except the sawdust part, being a semi retired finish carpenter and an amateur speaker builder for decades. When the cash flow permits I will be buying MA drivers but for now I have a backlog of multiway stuff to refurb and unload to generate said cash. So my comment was off topic.

phivates, et al

I wasn't particularly offended by the original "how could you?", and clearly enjoy a little passive aggressive repartee as much as the next "forum keyboard artist", but admit to some bewilderment as to the context and relevance of "birch or maple dust?"

To the original poster, if it even matters anymore, in the 40+yrs I've been playing with this hobby, I've owned/listened to a fairly wide range of speaker cabling / interconnects (did you know that 300 ohm ladder antennae lead can make a perfectly acceptable speaker wire? I ran over 60ft from my folks Clairtone console to a remote pair of basement speakers, circa 1965 - I wish I could remember if/how I dealt with polarity marking for phasing) . Heck, I've even heard of guys demonstrating that an unfolded coat hanger would "work".

Frankly I can't even remember/ don't care how my "philosophy" on the subject evolved, but after using Fulton Brown, Levinson, Linn K40, Cobra Cable, QED, to name just a few over the years, I gravitated to using the smallest amount of conductive material in both the wire itself and the necessary interconnecting hardware (jacks/ plugs) - hence the #24 wire, $2.00 binding posts and as concession to convenience, the Pomona dual banana plugs.

Does all wire sound the same? probably not

Do I lose any sleep over what someone else thinks about it in the context of my own systems, and the path traveled to get to this point?
Doesn't the parsing of the above sentence include the answer to that?

Mark, apologies if you consider this a waste of bandwidth - I could certainly understand that.

thank all . I am waiting for the debate , I have some time couse I will buy cables next week..

Hi noPiano,
Something of possible interest for you. I was given some Atmos 309 Silver plate cable 2 years ago. I've had no time to evaluate it in depth, but from a few long listening sessions, I audibly noticed the following when swopping from Sommer copper cable:

(Note this is only my personal experience from hours of casual experimentation, nothing specifically measured)

1 - Alpair 7.3 - ATmos increases the intensity of the upper mid and high range. A bit too sharp for my taste so I stick to copper cable on this driver.

2 - CHR Gen 1 and 2, I found the Atmos brightened these drivers which worked well. However, the Gen.3 driver has the more sensitive Multi-Form cone, I found it sounds better on copper cable.

3 - Alpair 10 Gen.1 on Atmos was nice as this driver has a very soft cone. The Gen 2 driver with its more rigid Multi-Form cone also sounded more extended on the Atmos.

As yet, I've not tried ATmos on the other drivers.

Hope this helps you.

Strassacker: Speaker Building, Components

Cheers
Mark.

Attachments

• Atmos 309.jpg
    Atmos 309.jpg
    733.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I'm not snarking on ChrisB's commentary; I agree completely. I've used 4 wire phone cable in the past. And I'm no expert on any of this, except the sawdust part, being a semi retired finish carpenter and an amateur speaker builder for decades. When the cash flow permits I will be buying MA drivers but for now I have a backlog of multiway stuff to refurb and unload to generate said cash. So my comment was off topic.

Hi P,
Good to see this post. I've also got to clear-out my HK warehouse, sad as there's lots of vintage audio goodies gathering dust, but the storage space has to be sold.

NoPiano is looking advice on cable selection. Maybe you could suggest some particular cable choices from your past experience.

Thanks
Mark.

Last edited:
Guys,
One thought striking me is the large price range variation in cables. Lautsprecher's site offers a wide choice, scroll down their page.

Strassacker: Speaker Building, Components

I'd be really interested to know if any member has experimented between the expensive choices and the basic cable shown on Laut's site.

For example, ATmos 309 copper is 6.90 Euro per metre, while the Silver plate version (samples I was given) is a whacking 19.90 Euro per metre. I'll have to tap my trade source, see if he'll "lend" a few metres of the copper version.

There's 1.5-mm "standard" cable on the Laut site for a modest 0.65 Euro per metre. Be interesting if any member has used this type of cable, or evaluated it against other choices.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
phivates, et al

I wasn't particularly offended by the original "how could you?", and clearly enjoy a little passive aggressive repartee as much as the next "forum keyboard artist", but admit to some bewilderment as to the context and relevance of "birch or maple dust?"

Mark, apologies if you consider this a waste of bandwidth - I could certainly understand that.

Hi Chris (Senior members, Experienced Fellas),
I'm glad to see your contributions, passing on your experiences is much needed as I'm always playing "catch-up" with my email bag trying to answer questions like those posed by noPiano. New members, beginners and those with less experience need your help and advice. Trading experiences and ideas makes this hobby allot of fun.

Much of the advice offered is excellent, often helping to keep this hobby "affordable" for many Diyers. Hence my last 2 posts. Be interesting to see if we can get more contributions posted on this thread.

Please keep posting!

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
I started composing what fast developed into an epic and self-aggrandizing tale of my journey and struggles in DIY amp and speaker building over the past dozen or so years, and the various steps and revelations in the downsizing process but realized - who gives a rip?

What it did remind me of is that I came to appreciate the merits of thin solid speaker wire concurrently with my foray into the territory of low power tube amplification and single driver "mostly" full-range speakers - often, but not always BLH designs. There's an intimacy and directness of these combinations that is quite synergistic. Large, multiway systems with complex XOs, lower efficiency drivers and / or very large rooms / long loop lengths will need different solutions, which may well include thicker, stranded cabling.

Poor noPiano - quite an introduction to the wonderful world of DIY :)

happy new year! :drink: - remember, party responsibly, turn on private browsing, and delete all cookies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.