FX200 in a BIB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All

Been awhile since I've looked at single driver solutions. I built my first speaker about 11 years ago - started with FE164's in folded MLTLs and ended up with a massive 4-way active OB consisting of eight 12's, two 10's, two 7's, and a CD WG (ala Geddes) per side. Loved the last system, but it got to be just too freaking big. Anyway, I boxed it all up, enjoyed the freed up space, and settled into a pair of Skull Candy headphones and iTunes for a couple of years. I knew it wouldn't last. :) I've been revisiting the idea of simplicity and not-too-large enclosures, although it's easier for me to go up than out, and the BIB seems like what I need to look into. I gotta have 40Hz but I don't need alot of volume as these will be in a small (~12' X 15') room with usable corners.

I literally had forgotten I had them, but I dug out a pair of FX200s that I would like to utilize in a BIB along with a Fountek NeoCD3 ribbon for reinforcing the highs if needed. I'll biamp with an active XO if the tweeter seems to help - I doubt that I can hear anything over 8K anymore anyway. :D

So now the question - is an FX200 doable in a BIB? Is its high-ish Qts a drawback? I can't seem to locate the BIB Calculator but I did shoot Godzilla an email.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Allan

Thanks GM! And a Merry Christmas to you too.

Yeah, it's gonna be a big cab at roughly 26 X 19 (external) and about 90 inches tall. I remember the MLTL I had them in was quite large as well, but the in-room extension was pretty remarkable. A slightly smaller footprint might still give some decent results. I'm game. :)

Allan

I need to see if I still have MJKs stuff on my old PC. I don't think MC Explorer is still available. If I go with a 91 inch height, I'll have 3-4 inches from the mouth to the ceiling...it doesn't 'feel' quite right, but that's definitely a WAG. :)

Allan

GM

Joined 2003
MJK has it for download on his site.

Yeah, that's kind of close, but you can always cut the terminus at an angle or do the scalloping 'thing' like TC did with his floor loaded model, not to mention make a removal panel and experiment with Karlson slots.

GM

Thanks again GM. Got the Explorer from MJK's site. Good call on the modifiable terminus - that'll give me some options.

Applying a ~10% rule to the TS parameters in the calculator and keeping Sm at about .85 of the original (halfway between your .7 recommendation for minimum), I'm thinking a 168 inch line (84 inches tall), and a 22.5 X 16 internal would be a place to start. From all the reports I'm reading, these things apparently have some leeway so a half an inch here and there probably won't be audible anyway.

Allan

You're welcome!

Yes, I designed in enough to either account for some T/S specs variance and/or downsize a bit and/or have an adequate amount of acoustic efficiency to allow in room tuning via increasing stuffing density.

Factor in some room gain beyond half space and in theory you may need significant damping for it not to sound bass 'heavy' in smaller rooms and/or with higher Qts drivers, but it's always better to attenuate than boost or worse, have nothing to boost.

GM

>>> Been awhile since I've looked at single driver solutions. I built my first speaker about 11 years ago - started with FE164's in folded MLTLs and ended up with a massive 4-way active OB consisting of eight 12's, two 10's, two 7's, and a CD WG (ala Geddes) per side. Loved the last system, but it got to be just too freaking big. Anyway, I boxed it all up, enjoyed the freed up space, and settled into a pair of Skull Candy headphones and iTunes for a couple of years. I knew it wouldn't last. I've been revisiting the idea of simplicity and not-too-large enclosures, although it's easier for me to go up than out, and the BIB seems like what I need to look into.

Sounds like a plan AJ! Sorry I've been away for quite a while due to a messy divorce, grrr! Thanks for posting the BIB calculator GM!

Zilla

Thanks Zilla. Sorry to hear about the divorce man - been there, done that.

After reading that entire monster thread on BIB's (do we get an award for finishing it in a single day?), I'm starting to think a little smaller and I'm looking at the F16x Fostex lineup. The depth of the cabs for the FX200 is a little more than I want to deal with. I still like the extra space I've been enjoying lately and I really just need 40 hz, which this room gets pretty readily with the right placement.

I'm really interested in the Spawn too...lotsa choices. :)

Allan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.