FX200 in a BIB? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2012, 08:11 PM   #1
AJ is offline AJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Default FX200 in a BIB?

Hi All

Been awhile since I've looked at single driver solutions. I built my first speaker about 11 years ago - started with FE164's in folded MLTLs and ended up with a massive 4-way active OB consisting of eight 12's, two 10's, two 7's, and a CD WG (ala Geddes) per side. Loved the last system, but it got to be just too freaking big. Anyway, I boxed it all up, enjoyed the freed up space, and settled into a pair of Skull Candy headphones and iTunes for a couple of years. I knew it wouldn't last. I've been revisiting the idea of simplicity and not-too-large enclosures, although it's easier for me to go up than out, and the BIB seems like what I need to look into. I gotta have 40Hz but I don't need alot of volume as these will be in a small (~12' X 15') room with usable corners.

I literally had forgotten I had them, but I dug out a pair of FX200s that I would like to utilize in a BIB along with a Fountek NeoCD3 ribbon for reinforcing the highs if needed. I'll biamp with an active XO if the tweeter seems to help - I doubt that I can hear anything over 8K anymore anyway.

So now the question - is an FX200 doable in a BIB? Is its high-ish Qts a drawback? I can't seem to locate the BIB Calculator but I did shoot Godzilla an email.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Allan
Old 25th December 2012, 12:21 AM   #2
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Happy Holidaze and all that jive!

Backup location: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac..._gm_v2.xls.zip

Its published Qts is still in the ~optimum range, but combined with its Fs, Vas, it calculates a very large cab, so you'll have to fiddle with the inputs to get to a size you can tolerate and of course the deep bass will be rolled off as the trade-off.

GM
Old 25th December 2012, 01:18 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks GM! And a Merry Christmas to you too.

Yeah, it's gonna be a big cab at roughly 26 X 19 (external) and about 90 inches tall. I remember the MLTL I had them in was quite large as well, but the in-room extension was pretty remarkable. A slightly smaller footprint might still give some decent results. I'm game.

Allan
Old 25th December 2012, 03:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You're welcome!

I bet! Looking forward to how it this turns out.

GM
Old 25th December 2012, 03:47 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

GM - Got another quick question. How close to the ceiling can I go before it effectively becomes a vent? Is it mass loading at some point?
Old 25th December 2012, 04:27 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Not sure, but ~13" should be plenty based on a 19"x 26" terminus. I wonder if MJK's newest sheets can do down-firing sims to get a more accurate SWAG.

GM
Old 25th December 2012, 04:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I need to see if I still have MJKs stuff on my old PC. I don't think MC Explorer is still available. If I go with a 91 inch height, I'll have 3-4 inches from the mouth to the ceiling...it doesn't 'feel' quite right, but that's definitely a WAG.

Allan
Old 25th December 2012, 05:19 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

MJK has it for download on his site.

Yeah, that's kind of close, but you can always cut the terminus at an angle or do the scalloping 'thing' like TC did with his floor loaded model, not to mention make a removal panel and experiment with Karlson slots.

GM
Old 25th December 2012, 06:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks again GM. Got the Explorer from MJK's site. Good call on the modifiable terminus - that'll give me some options.

Applying a ~10% rule to the TS parameters in the calculator and keeping Sm at about .85 of the original (halfway between your .7 recommendation for minimum), I'm thinking a 168 inch line (84 inches tall), and a 22.5 X 16 internal would be a place to start. From all the reports I'm reading, these things apparently have some leeway so a half an inch here and there probably won't be audible anyway.

Allan
Old 25th December 2012, 04:46 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You're welcome!

Yes, I designed in enough to either account for some T/S specs variance and/or downsize a bit and/or have an adequate amount of acoustic efficiency to allow in room tuning via increasing stuffing density.

Factor in some room gain beyond half space and in theory you may need significant damping for it not to sound bass 'heavy' in smaller rooms and/or with higher Qts drivers, but it's always better to attenuate than boost or worse, have nothing to boost.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!