My first horn - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2012, 11:39 PM   #1
dtproff is offline dtproff  United States
diyAudio Member

Default My first horn

I have lurked here for years and finally decided to get my hands dirty. The wife capitulated and has given me a space to build a full range horn (as long as it looks pretty and I make the matching entertainment center to go with it).

I have a licensed copy of MLK back loaded horn and I believe I have entered things correctly.

What I am hoping for is that someone can look at this and tell me if the horn response looks right (or maybe someone has a different calculator for comparison).

The inspiration for the design came off the German site Yellowplay

I really want to build, test, and (better yet) understand my design so if you guys wouldn't mind looking this over and telling me what you think I would appreciate it.

The speaker will be the FE126En.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My_Horn.jpg (64.6 KB, 396 views)
Old 24th December 2012, 12:27 AM   #2
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

The design is very simple not too many turns, which is good. Kind of reminds me of the Half Chang, which appears to sound very nice - as expressed by MJK himself. I can't see the simulation plot clearly, the image is very low res. Does it show the bass extension down to 30 Hz? If so, that is surprising that horn length is only 31 inches and achieves this.
Old 24th December 2012, 12:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

It would appear to show extension down to 30Hz.

I'm not sure I believe that: this is a 4" driver in a smallish horn. I'd expect 60Hz extension, maybe.

Chris
Old 24th December 2012, 12:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Attached is a more detailed picture.

I believe the key to the driver response is the large compression chamber behind the 5" driver. The Yellowplay site kind of intimates that when you look at the first and second response plots they offered.

I really appreciate everyones response. I haven't done one of these so any mistakes avoided will save me time.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: png Horn Resp.png (27.3 KB, 368 views)
Old 24th December 2012, 01:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Your combined SPL curve is flat - very nice. I don't understand why the level is only 74 db though. The FE126En is a pretty efficient driver. Or are you only simulating at low power on purpose? Even with compression chamber, I am surprised that this design goes down to 30 Hz before rolling off.
Good luck with it. In case you haven't seen the foam core or Cornu threads, this driver would probably work well in a Cornu which is an easy to build BLH that has high WAF.
Old 24th December 2012, 03:08 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The foam core approach offers some appeal but unfortunately the wife only gave me one little area with which to put this thing. I am in the corner of the room just past her sowing table. I was told quite emphatically that I must live withing the allocated space and that any deviation from there would me being relegated back to the garage. Oh well, so much for for being the master of my domain!

As to the power level... the MLK spread sheet is for 1W input power.

The entire room plot looks pretty lumpy which is why I was turning to the forum for help. Not sure if I was doing something wrong there or not.

Tony
Old 24th December 2012, 03:42 AM   #7
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hmm, need to publish all your input data as something seems seriously amiss.

GM
Old 24th December 2012, 04:00 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
... reminds me of the Half Chang...
It is indeed probably more acuratally called a BVR like the half chang.

And to echo GM...

dave
Old 24th December 2012, 05:08 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Sorry Dave... can you tell me what BVR stands for?

I think the design is fairly close to the BK12 at Madisound.

I do appreciate you taking the time to reply.

Tony
Old 24th December 2012, 05:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtproff View Post
The foam core approach offers some appeal but unfortunately the wife only gave me one little area with which to put this thing. I am in the corner of the room just past her sowing table. I was told quite emphatically that I must live withing the allocated space and that any deviation from there would me being relegated back to the garage. Oh well, so much for for being the master of my domain!

As to the power level... the MLK spread sheet is for 1W input power.

The entire room plot looks pretty lumpy which is why I was turning to the forum for help. Not sure if I was doing something wrong there or not.

Tony
That's the nice thing about the Cornu's - they don't take up any floor space but hang on the wall, do you have wall space allocated by SWMBO? I did not realize the lumpy plot was the combined, I thought that was horn output and blue was combined room response. Yes, please show inputs and particularly how the room was modeled.

Last edited by xrk971; 24th December 2012 at 05:23 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!