Enclosure for very low QTS ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We expect the photos on the forum !
Claude:rolleyes:
Hi Claude,
Of course I'll post some pics. But for the moment, I'm a little bit surprised with my calculations. When you did the same project, 4 or 5 years ago, the dimensions of the cabinet were 90" x 11-1/4" x 18-3/4". Mine will be 75,5 x 8,75 x 12,5.

At this time your drivers were Audio Nirvana Super 8 (regular), mine are the Audio Nirvana Super 8 Cast Frame. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the spec of the drivers change since that time.

Cheers,

Luc

TQWT

As someone who dropped out in 1988, I find the myriad "QW" chats bewildering. Now resonant columns are quarter wave. For me, if it expands, it's a horn. If it tapers down in cross section, it's a TL. The straight pipe is kind of a no-no. A.R. Bailey said so. Sound doesn't behave differently in the 21st century does it?

A giant Cornu spiral
With that low of a Q, no doubt. Perfect for the spiral.
the horn expansion ratio is huge and has lots of output up into 500 Hz, and is easy to build.
Easy to build and easy to control with stuffing. As Scott says, you really don't want it going that high.
Probably the easiest BLH to make that sounds good.
Yes the foam core makes it very fast and a fun build too.
You need to make sure the driver has a sufficient high end to compete with the copious bass.
Copious yes. If you like bass and are starting with a small driver, I've not heard another box that does as much.

I thought Bailey's object was to create a non-resonant enclosure by damping and tapering the labyrinth or voigt pipe which had been around, like the rest of these designs, for decades. The refinements we see now have antecedents.
In the 60's there were two schools, put crudely at best: east coast and west coast; sealed box and vented. The TL/Bailey school cut right through the middle of it until the 80's tore everything up, including music itself.
We're doing much better now. I missed a lot over the last 25 years, both good and bad; I don't regret getting out of car audio when I did, but the learning curve is steep getting back into it. Next, some measurement practice. Thanks to you GM for being a pillar here, among others of course. The Parthenon has many pillars but only a few are up front.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I thought Bailey's object was to create a non-resonant enclosure

That is what the title says, but in the end that is not what he created (or followers built) -- something that has created a whole lot of confusion over time. A non-resonant enclosure would be aperiodic and have no appreciable output from the terminumus.

dave

Well I built one then...after getting something out of pegboard baffles, internal that is, I built a box with holes in it. Must have been aperiodic since there was no LF output. Not the only complete bust either I must admit. Nevertheless...Onward! Forward! Backward!
As I recall Bailey wasn't concerned with output from the terminus. Us Americans went crazy with all that, more and morons that we are.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As I recall Bailey wasn't concerned with output from the terminus...

That is where he started. Here is where it ended...

After noting weak bass performance with the test line closed...

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• bailey-terminus.gif
    bailey-terminus.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 249
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.