Enclosure for very low QTS ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2012, 06:07 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I've never had the chance to listen to Onken, but I read several good things about it. I also found a calculator made by Cyr-Marc Debien. I'll think about it and I will try to listen to some...
Old 23rd December 2012, 06:14 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartiate1952 View Post
Thanks Scott for those useful informations. I already start to take a look at some BLH design, but it meens a lot of wood working. I would have more time to realize this kind of project in 1 or 2 mounts. Till this moment, I would like to do something more simple. I talk to a guy who made BIB enclosure to use with a pair of AN super 8
Not a problem. The BIB is a back horn BTW.

Quote:
A driver screaming for a variable output impedance amplifier IMO
+1
Old 23rd December 2012, 06:24 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
Not a problem. The BIB is a back horn BTW.

+1
Ok, I think I'll try the BIB. The timing is good, I don't have a regular GF for the moment, so the look and the dimension are not an issue... (I mean the look and the dimension of the enclosure, not the girl friend... )

When I use the BIB calculator from Zillaspeak, I just entered 3 variables : Fs, Vas and Qts and it gave me some results that seem smaller than I thought (for ex. the internal width 8,84 and the nominal height 75,42). Did I do something wrong?

Last edited by spartiate1952; 23rd December 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 23rd December 2012, 06:40 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default measuriing the exacts t/s spec.

About the importance of measuring the t/s specs exactly for my unit. I agree, but I really don't have the skills or the equipment to do this at this moment. I have no other choice believe what we can find on Audio Nirvana web page...
Old 23rd December 2012, 07:11 PM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
measure your t/s specs exactly for your units first and make sure you're actually dealing with those specs first!
Measuring them yourself will likely yield different specs, but not because the 1st ones are necessarily wrong. More likely because you are measuring at a different place on the curve/ T/S are not scalars. I have found that factory specs, invariably measured with LEAP or LMS produce an encloure closer to target.

dave
Old 23rd December 2012, 07:17 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Measuring them yourself will likely yield different specs, but not because the 1st ones are necessarily wrong. More likely because you are measuring at a different place on the curve/ T/S are not scalars. I have found that factory specs, invariably measured with LEAP or LMS produce an encloure closer to target.

dave
Thanks,

I just realize that one of my friend is maybe able to do this for me.
Old 23rd December 2012, 07:19 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartiate1952 View Post
About the importance of measuring the t/s specs exactly for my unit. I agree, but I really don't have the skills or the equipment to do this at this moment. I have no other choice believe what we can find on Audio Nirvana web page...
well my only input i can give you to help is the t/s specs for the guide sound units i recently acquired, who's quoted T/S specs were pretty much exactly as listed on the audio nirvana website for the AN8 neo's.

guide-sound being the people who manufacture the audio nirvana units.

Product Show

when i finally measured the T/S specs myself i got

FS - 57.84
Re - 7.6
Le - 51.985
Qt - 0.235
Qe - 0.25
Qm - 2.97
Mms - 13.555
Rms - 1.66
Cms - 0.0005585
Vas - 36.755
Sd - 216
Bl - 12.23

its a huge way off the quoted specs. the units sound very good but it changed any attempts at making an enclosure for them.
Old 23rd December 2012, 07:22 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

dave
i think i remember you mentioning this about some Mark Audio drivers somewhere?

from memory your measurements weren't (in terms of %) that far off the factory measures T/S specs. Certainly not to the extent i've seen from my own measurements of a guidesound unit, and a few other threads dotted around this forum and a few others.
Old 23rd December 2012, 07:48 PM   #19
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

A giant Cornu spiral - the horn expansion ratio is huge and has lots of output up into 500 Hz, and is easy to build. Probably the easiest BLH to make that sounds good. You need to make sure the driver has a sufficient high end to compete with the copious bass.
Old 23rd December 2012, 08:37 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafhenderson View Post
i think i remember you mentioning this about some Mark Audio drivers somewhere?

from memory your measurements weren't (in terms of %) that far off the factory measures T/S specs.
All that does is indicate that the MArk Audio drivers have T/S curves that are closer to horizontal. Hae a look at these measurements of the same pair of FE127eN drivers by Mark & myself (and the factory's for reference (of stock drivers))

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif Fenlon-FE127-measures.gif (7.2 KB, 158 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!