1+ years with chr70 pensils whats next? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2012, 02:44 AM   #11
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
That's terrible that the drivers disappeared before you got a chance to finish your build! (note to self: buy the drivers first).
Thanks for your concern, but I do have the drivers; just stalled on that particular build. Need to finish up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitech View Post
I am probably better off sticking with FR + sub. I just like the idea of FAST, and I bet I would love the sound.
FR+sub is plenty good.
Old 18th December 2012, 06:08 PM   #12
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideon View Post
very tempting!

Sounds like a good option, maybe I just need to modify my pensils.
just wondering if anyone has tried putting a woofer/xo into pensils before.. does it make sense?

I'd avoid adding woofers into a Pensil enclosure - if you're concerned or certain that you'll need such support, I'd either choose a different enclosure design with accommodating void cavities, or go for separate woofers. The latter requires more space, but has many advantages
Old 18th December 2012, 06:46 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

What is your budget like?

Quote:
but the celestions just had some much more clarity, detail and body to the music.
Depending on your listening level, this may be a result of the full ranger being over stressed and the multi-way holding up better.

Quote:

I have a small apartment, gainclone with 6418(sub-mini) tube preamp. I'm going to build the amp camp amp soon as well.
Again, depending on your listening level, the higher sensitivity of the Celestion may be helping here.

Quote:
So whats a good reasonably priced project that will make the hair on my neck stand?
I agree with others here that you should consider a FAST or subwoofers. Which brings me back to my first question. If you budget is tight, build some subwoofers. Two minimum. Maybe 4 10"ers dual opposed in two cabs flanking your pencils. That would be nice. Once you can expand your budget, ditch the CHR70s and get Alp7 or similar better full range driver. Cross around 100hz.

If the budget is larger, put the pencils in the bedroom or something and do something like this: FAST build with Alpair 7.3 and Seas L26ROY and Hypex AS2.100

You wouldn't have to build it with that shape, and you could ditch the hypex amps for something more affordable. Or even a passive cross over.

Or.... If you're open to it, a proper waveguide 2-way plus subs! Hello!!!
Old 19th December 2012, 12:04 AM   #14
gideon is offline gideon  Israel
diyAudio Member

Thanks tuxedocivic,

My listening level is usually quite low, but during the A-B i did push it up enough to fill up the room.
The pensils were somewhat direct, and the celestions gave an impression that sound was all around, bouncing off the rest of the room. maybe that's another quality that's missing.

Actually, yesterday I read a lot of information about waveguides.. I never heard one before so its a bit hard to know if its what I am looking for.
But I feel very curious to look more into it. I noticed there are a few variations like the econowaves, geddes ...
Anybody has a good 2-way waveguide links that would be great, I'll keep on digging in the forum.

Quote:
I'd avoid adding woofers into a Pensil enclosure - if you're concerned or certain that you'll need such support, I'd either choose a different enclosure design with accommodating void cavities, or go for separate woofers. The latter requires more space, but has many advantages
Thanks Chrisb, I guess its not an option to stick them in
Old 19th December 2012, 03:54 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Check out the SEOS

SEOS Speaker Designs
Old 19th December 2012, 05:02 PM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks tuxedocivic,

My listening level is usually quite low, but during the A-B i did push it up enough to fill up the room.
The pensils were somewhat direct, and the celestions gave an impression that sound was all around, bouncing off the rest of the room. maybe that's another quality that's missing.

Actually, yesterday I read a lot of information about waveguides.. I never heard one before so its a bit hard to know if its what I am looking for.
But I feel very curious to look more into it. I noticed there are a few variations like the econowaves, geddes ...
Anybody has a good 2-way waveguide links that would be great, I'll keep on digging in the forum.

Thanks Chrisb, I guess its not an option to stick them in

If you're looking for "a bit more" SPL/Bass/room filling soundstage, etc with the smaller Mark Audio drivers, I can highly recommend the dual driver Castle Micro Towers. My own are with EL70s, which in any of quite a few enclosures I've heard them rather handily out-muscle the CHR70 in the bass department - but if you're contemplating adding woofers, a HP filter on the wide-banders is always a good idea, and can mitigate the issues with excursion related artifacts at higher volume levels.

As for 2-way systems with waveguides, I don't think it would be hard to find recent such projects in these forums
Old 19th December 2012, 05:54 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I was using FR89EX(3") + JM Lab sub(11") before I went to Apair 10.2 in Pencil. My sub retired.

Hide this!Advertise here!