Fostex Fe126en sound vs FF125wk drivers sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good Evening,

I just wanted to share my thoughts on each of these drivers and thier ways of performance in playing music. So here it goe's. I have had the FE 126en drivers for almost a year in and out of the same box testing. I have had the FF 125wk drivers before and I have had then in and out of the box as well that I made. The FE 126en drivers seem to get everything right in the lower midrange to the lower high end of the spectrum in music. I think they have the best midrange around for the dollar value and best bang for the buck :up:! They are a little soft in the highter freq's and the lower bass notes. The one thing the FE 126en does right is it's a very live sounding driver and very natural while doing this. Not the quickest driver around but, keep's up pretty good. Now for the FF 125wk drivers. This is a very studio sounding driver. Not live at all, just mixes ( blends or gel's) everything together right. It seems Quicker then the FE 126en drivers and can do drums with a more realer effect or attack. They have alot more xmax then the FE and they have a diffrent surround type and shape. The FF 125wk does have a very high range and what I was missing on the FE 126en drivers these were able to make knowen. I think it could be the metal center cap it works very well :up:. Now the only thing I can say I didn't like about this driver is it sounded resesed. When I played the FE 126en drivers next to the FF 125wk drivers the FF drivers sounded held back and the voices sounded like the speakers were cuppled. Now for the FE drivers they sound a tad bit forward or bright on some voices and has the sss and zz really stand out but I can deal with this sound. Well for my first write up both drivers They have their good and bad parts and no driver is perfect. If fostex could make a driver with the FE and the FF series together I think they would own the fullrange world and this is my own thought? I have had alot of fullrange drivers over the years and these two are on my fav. list besides the best 3 inch killer FF85wk drivers are my favs of all time but, lack the low end but, hay there a 3 inch right? I just want to share my thoughts. I know just like ice cream some people will agree and some will not thats okay. Thats why its a diy forum to help, share, enjoy and learn something new. Thanks CR

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I played the FE 126en drivers next to the FF 125wk drivers the FF drivers sounded held back and the voices sounded like the speakers were cuppled.

Tanx for the review.

What boxes did you use? Pictures? Cupped sound is usually a box artifact.

It is probably more accurate to say the FE126 is forward than to say the FF125 is recessed.

And i'm with you on the FF85wk. Just put mine back into the system. They have a pair of Peerless 830870 as help so do not lack bottom.

uFonkenSET-matched-woofT.jpg

dave

Hi there Dave. Yes your right with the right term of words. It is probably more accurate to say the FE126 is forward than to say the FF125 is recessed. This is true thanks for helping me out with words. As the box goe's this is what I based it on. I built a box with it being 6 inchs on top and 11 inch's on the bottom. The sides are 2 inch on top by 9 inch's on the bottom. They are alittle taller then the protoe type I did. They were going to be 37 inchs tall but, end up 40 inch's tall. All I can say is I worked on this box for a very long time and redesigning the inside chambers over and over and over again. A work in progress you could say. I did my own design for the chambers inside and you know I really can't recall how I did it? I forgot to take pictures of the finished protoe type I ended up with. Man that hurts. I had to cut all the angles with a powered hand saw by my self and the table I was using was not so stable but, I made thru it. Also in my box I used felt and another type of damping behind and on the side walls next to the drivers. This really helped out the sound for both drivers. Pictures of the boxes? Yes but, I am in the middle of redoing the boxes and trying something different. Also how would I post pictures on this forum? I thought I did it before but, now I have forgotten how to do that? Now about the FF85wk again one of the best fullrange drivers ever made to my ears. Also when I go to redo the box again the enges will be rounded and not square and the height and depth will be different as well. I name of the box I built is a trapazoid box if I spelled it right. I hope I answered you questions and again thanks for replying to my post. CR

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
To attach pictures click "Post Reply" or "Go Advanced". Under the text message area will be a button to Manage Attachments, clicking it brings up another window where you can click and select the pictures off of your hard drive and then upload them. When you are done you can close that window. You should see the names of your pictures in the attachments area.

dave

Perhaps also use the return key from time to time :)

Back to the speakers: to my taste the 125 sound noticeably more rich in tonality than the 126 which I find quite tiring. Forwardness ofthe 126 works well with some music, but can get irritating in my opinion. I find the 125 much more balanced.

To attach pictures click "Post Reply" or "Go Advanced". Under the text message area will be a button to Manage Attachments, clicking it brings up another window where you can click and select the pictures off of your hard drive and then upload them. When you are done you can close that window. You should see the names of your pictures in the attachments area.

dave

Okay thanks I will try it. CR

Yes The return key? Sorry I tend to run my words toegther alot. I must work on that. Thanks for he heads up. Also I agree the Fe 126en tends to get forward but, I like that. Also the FF 125wk yes Balanced all the way around but, lacks liveness still a great driver. Thnaks CR

One man's dynamic, forward, midrange presence is another's "taste not yet acquired" - the 126 is indeed not shy, and not without issues for some listeners; of the 2, I'm more inclined to the WK myself. However, given free choice from the 3-5" Fostex stable, it'd be the 85WK - definitely needs a woofer though for anything but near field desk top (mine are just over arms' length, and I'm a little squirt )

this is what makes the horse race interesting

One man's dynamic, forward, midrange presence is another's "taste not yet acquired" - the 126 is indeed not shy, and not without issues for some listeners; of the 2, I'm more inclined to the WK myself. However, given free choice from the 3-5" Fostex stable, it'd be the 85WK - definitely needs a woofer though for anything but near field desk top (mine are just over arms' length, and I'm a little squirt )

this is what makes the horse race interesting

So how does the FF105WK fit into the scheme of things? Is it a nice compromise between both drivers or neither fish nor foul?

So how does the FF105WK fit into the scheme of things? Is it a nice compromise between both drivers or neither fish nor foul?

Well I bought the FF105wks and never used them. I sold them before I could play around and put them in boxes? I still think the FF 85wk and the FE 126en are my favs. I did have a pair of their 8 inch fullrange drivers the FE 206E and they were spooky real. I have also had the mark audio Alpair 6 -p's nice little drivers. I bought these drivers from parts express years ago the Tang Band Titanium cone drivers. They were way to bright and
no bass. I also had the First run of the Css w125 fullrange drivers years ago. They were to neutral sounding. Really didn't reach out anf grab me if I am using the terms right. I was up set when Aura stop making their 3 inch paper cone driver one of the best 3 inch drivers that is not a fostex.
I am so use to fullrange drivers that when I went into a hi-fi shop to listen to a new pair of speakers they sound so unnatural and unreal sounding. It seemed a box was playing the music instead of the speaker playing the music. Sorry about getting off track. Just wanted to share I am a fullrange driver man for life. I thank everyone here and at at the fullrange driver forum for helping me see the light even if you have to do a fast speaker it still is fullrange. C.R.

Comparison to Panasonic A11EC80-02F

When I played the FE 126en drivers next to the FF 125wk drivers the FF drivers sounded held back and the voices sounded like the speakers were cuppled. Now for the FE drivers they sound a tad bit forward or bright on some voices and has the sss and zz really stand out but I can deal with this sound. Well for my first write up both drivers They have their good and bad parts and no driver is perfect. CR

No driver is perfect; ain't that the truth! So here's a question for those of you who may have broad experience with this class of drivers – specifically the Pioneer A11EC80-02F, and how it compares to these Fostex units.

I have a set of vintage single-driver speakers made by a company called PSU (Precision Sound Unlimited) that feature this (Panasonic) driver, and I was wondering whether either of these Fostex drivers would actually amount to an upgrade, or just a "different sound."

The main thing I'd be looking for is simply extended frequency range; a little higher, a little lower. While it's hard to get a real sense of the sound of speakers from YouTube videos even with headphones, still, together with the description here, I have to say that the FE's just sound way too forward to me, and I worry that I would not like them. The FF's sound pretty great I think. Here's one of the videos I listened to: YouTube.

Still, I can't find a comparison anywhere with the Pioneers. Anybody have knowledge of how these might stack up?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.