Kaltro 8" - do you kow this driver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys

I bought a pair of Kaltro "High Compliance Speakers" Model FR-8; 8 ohms; input 15 watt speakers for AU$25 at an audio bring-n-buy on Saturday.

They remind me of Fostex drivers? (1) could anyone give me a little history on them! and (2) what do you think a good cabinet might be ... all that comes to mind is the Dallas!

Attachments

• 100_3036.JPG
    100_3036.JPG
    659.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 100_3037.JPG
    100_3037.JPG
    545.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Kaltro speakers were distributed by Radio Parts P/L in Melbourne in the '70,s. If they cannot supply data, then the T S parameters need to be measured in order to suggest a suitable enclosure.The cloth roll surround may have dried out and could benefit from a softening/recoating treatment.

Kaltro speakers were distributed by Radio Parts P/L in Melbourne in the '70,s. If they cannot supply data, then the T S parameters need to be measured in order to suggest a suitable enclosure.The cloth roll surround may have dried out and could benefit from a softening/recoating treatment.

Thanks for the info. Surrounds look good but like the idea of softening/recoating treatment - what would you suggest?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I had a pair (Sold them on to another member from Tassie I think) I could never find on line TS figures but while they have a nice clean sound they CANNOT handle more than 5 real watts full range. I blew a single driver in 30 seconds playing around with a tiny amount of 100hz bass boost and that was in a 19 litre sealed and stuffed box. There is another thread where I asked the same questions about 3 or 4 years ago. Make sure you high pass them at least second order electrical above 200hz, 300 may be better. From memory they go quite high cleanly so a super tweeter above 12/15k may be needed Funny; one of my drivers had a scratch in exactly the same place on the label

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.