Enclosure decision????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just ordered a pair of Alpair 10.2s and am now trying to decide which cabinet to build. I searched the forum for this, but haven't found anything that helps me. If there's another thread about this, please point me to it, and I apologize for posting a redundant issue.
I'm set up in a room that's about 16' X 16'. Wood floors, no wall hangings, minimal furniture. I usually listen at about 6-10 feet from the speakers. I have some leeway in how close I can put them to the wall; against the wall to about 2 feet out. I have a small sub, if I need it. They will flank a television, so they can be as close as 36 inches apart and as far as 6 feet apart. Only one corner available. My music taste is jazz, Steely Dan, Norah Jones, vocals, classical, classic rock, etc. About the only thing I don't listen to is any kind of metal or the like. WAF is not an issue; she knows I love this stuff and has no problem with me doing what I want (at least in MY listening room). So... floor standers or stand mounted are both fine.
I imagine any of the designs from the Markaudio website will sound great, but is there one that would suit my situation better than the others? I realize that's a subjective question, but I want to throw it out just the same.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

I just ordered a pair of Alpair 10.2s and am now trying to decide which cabinet to build. I searched the forum for this, but haven't found anything that helps me. If there's another thread about this, please point me to it, and I apologize for posting a redundant issue.
I'm set up in a room that's about 16' X 16'. Wood floors, no wall hangings, minimal furniture. I usually listen at about 6-10 feet from the speakers. I have some leeway in how close I can put them to the wall; against the wall to about 2 feet out. I have a small sub, if I need it. They will flank a television, so they can be as close as 36 inches apart and as far as 6 feet apart. Only one corner available. My music taste is jazz, Steely Dan, Norah Jones, vocals, classical, classic rock, etc. About the only thing I don't listen to is any kind of metal or the like. WAF is not an issue; she knows I love this stuff and has no problem with me doing what I want (at least in MY listening room). So... floor standers or stand mounted are both fine.
I imagine any of the designs from the Markaudio website will sound great, but is there one that would suit my situation better than the others? I realize that's a subjective question, but I want to throw it out just the same.
Thanks in advance,
Mike

As far as free stuff goes, the Classic GR Mar-Ken 10.2 is probably a good bet for a stand mount bookshelf cabinet. The Pensil 10.2 is also popular for a floor stander.

Well, if you are willing to pay me my plans fee, I have two very nice cabinets for the A10.2.

The first is a small BR -- 17"x8.5"x10.5" bottom ported and F3 ~40Hz. The picture is of the prototypes in raw plywood. I have the demo's in the paint shop as we speak. In natural cherry with a high gloss finish. Rather nice. Pictures in ~ a week.

The second is a MLTL -- 42"x8.5"x8.5" F3 ~35Hz. This is the demo I have been taking to shows. It is in a dark stained beech.

If you are interested, PM me.

Bob

Attachments

• B10-A10 Prototype.jpg
    B10-A10 Prototype.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 286
  • M10_A10.JPG
    M10_A10.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 281
I listen to all those types of music and have 12's in the SuperPensil12 cabinets and thoroughly enjoy them. Plenty of bass that is very tight and well controlled as well. I haven't ever heard the stand mounted ones so I can't comment on those but if you have the space I'd say floorstanders in either Bob's design or the Pensil design.

Scott

UPDATE: I decided to go with Jim Griffin's MLTL design. At least for now. I've been listening to them quite a bit, but they're not yet broken in according to the manufacturer's recommendation. Even still, they are continually getting better. After a bit more break in time, I'm going to AB them with my current main speakers to see how they compare. Depending on that outcome, I might order another pair and go with either Dave's plans or Bob Brines's plans.
Thanks for all the input.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.