Tang Band W3-1878 - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2012, 02:35 PM   #31
aarvin2 is offline aarvin2  Mauritius
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondogenerator View Post
I even prefer them to my Alpair 6 gen1.
May I know why please ?
Old 19th December 2012, 04:25 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

although the tangbands i have show a ~10db rise above 10khz, it is less audibly offensive than the broad peak centred around ~7khz that the A6 gen1 has. It requires a notch to be flat through 5k and to the upper limits of audibility. The W3 1285 does not. Since it also has no dome the radiation pattern is narrow above 10k in the TB, and a slight increase in toe in deals with the laser like last octave, and the rest of the lower HF is flat.

As far as value goes, the alpairs in general are very good value but the TBs are much easier to build for and listen to.

Also the lack of rear spider means you can literally rock the voice coil from one side of the magnetic gap to the other. As far as im concerned that makes them more susceptable to bell mode resonances. I havent tested to see if this occurs in actuality though.

Last edited by mondogenerator; 19th December 2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: i.e. Im talking about MY alpairs not ALL alpairs, before i get beaten up.
Old 20th December 2012, 10:22 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hey Aarvin,
I did some research and I think I have a solution for you:
Tangband W4-1337SA Price $67

Granted it's a 4" but this is what Zaph had to say:

"This is a very wide bandwith driver that could work as a small woofer, a dedicated midrange or even a full range driver provided a filter is used to tame the top end. This driver's breakup node above 10kHz does not propagate as harmonic distortion lower in frequency, meaning you can cross it over as high as you want. Harmonic distortion is merely average, but the smoothness of the response curve is class leading - a fair trade to many. This is a titanium cone, but it exhibits very "non-metal" behavior due to the thin, light cone with exponential profile. Generally good value and consistency. It has a underhung voice coil that is vented under the spider, a cast frame and great build quality all around. Tested June 2007."
Usability: Click the image to open in full size. Build Quality: Click the image to open in full size. Consistency: Click the image to open in full size. Value: Click the image to open in full size.
You can see his measured T/S here. Click on the w4-1337 and the t/s radio button.

-Matt
Old 20th December 2012, 11:04 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Hi Matt, the thing is that I am looking for a 3" speaker. The best, most neutral/transparent full range that I can get my hands on.

That's why i'm looking for people who've experienced the w3-1878

Last edited by aarvin2; 20th December 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 20th December 2012, 11:37 AM   #35
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

If neutral 3 incher is what you are looking for, are you stuck with Tang Band? If staying with TB, the w3-315e is quite nice for much less cost. Almost as flat with slight bump at very high end which you can't hear anyway.
Old 20th December 2012, 12:00 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
If neutral 3 incher is what you are looking for, are you stuck with Tang Band? If staying with TB, the w3-315e is quite nice for much less cost. Almost as flat with slight bump at very high end which you can't hear anyway.
Price is not a problem actually

Have you experienced both the w3-1878 and the w3-315e ??

By the way frequency graphs only tell 1/8 of the whole story.

The W3-1878 has great Qts, better construction materials, good BL etc
Old 20th December 2012, 12:42 PM   #37
xrk971 is online now xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Sadly, no I am only looking at specs and am shopping for 3 inch driver now too. Your points are well taken regarding construction, qts, Bl, etc. Plus, the 1878 looks really cool.
Old 20th December 2012, 12:55 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

lol the 1285 looks cooler! Its only downside in spec is the low Qts
Old 20th December 2012, 07:19 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

W3-1878 FR curves | Audioheuristics
Old 20th December 2012, 08:54 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrk971 View Post
Sadly, no I am only looking at specs and am shopping for 3 inch driver now too. Your points are well taken regarding construction, qts, Bl, etc. Plus, the 1878 looks really cool.

Out of all the 3 inch fullrange drivers I would take the Newer Fostex ff 85wk over the Tang Bands any day . They have everything I am looking for but, lowest bass. CR

Hide this!Advertise here!