Tang Band W3-1878

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very good feedback here :)

I am planning to use the W3-1878 in small sealed enclosures on the dashboard of my car. I am hoping I will not miss having a tweeter, I hope these will provide all of the high end detail. They will be mounted directly on axis to the driver, and being in a car there are a lot of reflective surfaces to worry about, so reflections are difficult to deal with.

How low are you playing these?

Thanks! :)

I think these could work very nicely in a car. But I'm not sure how big a box you can fit on the dashboard? I would try simulating it to see how low they will go. Maybe it'd be better to just mount them directly in the dash without a box and filter away the lowest bass below perhaps 100-200hz. Playing upwards and reflecting the sound from the windshield should give enough highs I'd guess.

I play them as low as they go. I'm not sure about the numbers, but will try to make some measurements this weekend.

I think these could work very nicely in a car. But I'm not sure how big a box you can fit on the dashboard? I would try simulating it to see how low they will go. Maybe it'd be better to just mount them directly in the dash without a box and filter away the lowest bass below perhaps 100-200hz. Playing upwards and reflecting the sound from the windshield should give enough highs I'd guess.

I play them as low as they go. I'm not sure about the numbers, but will try to make some measurements this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

I might be able to get around 0.75litres at a guess, I haven't been able to measure properly yet but will be around that. I will be able to mount them directly on axis to the driver, so with some luck this will take advantage of the highs, as much as the driver can offer.

I am happy to cross them around 350hz ideally, I'd prefer low but this won't be possible in the small enclosure.

This is modeled in a 0.75 liter sealed enclosure with some stuffing, as you can see it's -1.7dB at 353hz
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Any measurements you might have would be fantastic!

This is not the only speaker I am considering, also the Fountek FR88EX and Tang Band W3-315E

Hi guys I have been experimenting with the 1878 for sometime, so I thought i'd share some little info which might be useful to some people:D

It sounds very harsh and peaky when you just started to use it ... give it its time(couple of hours) and the sound will get smoother and nicer :)

Don't expect it to play a lot of bass (lots of excursion) or you shall get some ugly stuttering mids and highs. Like some friends said here, it's much better with a HPF at 100 Hz or more.

You can get a bassy sound with less definition and details or opt for a less bassy sound with more articulation and details. More than 1L for bassy sound and less than 1L for more detailed sound (sealed).

This speaker sucks when coupled with ordinary amplifiers but really shines with quality amplifiers which have lots of juice to spare. This is obvious I know but the contrast is quite big. Some speakers still sound ok with ordinary amps, but not this one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.