Celestion CX 1512

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Purchased a pair of Celestion CX 1512's
Not much info on the web about these but for $200 bucks I was willing to take a punt. Having sold my Tannoy Canterbury SE's I was going through coaxial withdrawl symptoms. The only means I had for testing were a 3.5mm head phone out from my PC to Stereo RCA into the 15 Ohm taps of my hot rodded Rogers Cadet III. Without baffles just sitting on my carpeted Computer room floor & they sounded fantastic. Thin on the Bass as expected for a no baffle test but very promising with some HF crackle present. So I bridged the single Hunts 1.5 uF cap that comprised the cross over With A .33 uF Mundorf Silver/Gold lying around and hey presto problem solved.
Here is where the real fun & games began. The Seller provided the original cabinet dimensions. I asked a friend [Edward from Adelaide Speakers] if he had any spare cabinets lying around and as luck or design would have it an obsolete cabinet for an old Kef design that was a 98% volumetric match was given as an early chrissie present. I needed to make a new front baffle. In my shed was some 34mm laminated particle board kitchen bench material of the correct dimensions for 2 front baffles. I found a local furniture maker who for the moment shall remain nameless. I gave him the dimensions & instructions carefully calculated to modernize the ancient cab design. Moving the port from front to rear now circular & rounded entrance instead of rectangular, angling the sides of the front baffle. finally due to mounting restrictions a slight wave guide dish to the speaker.Not an easy job to be sure but that is what "furniture makers" are there for right? First contacted him on the 5/12/12 where when I dropped the baffle material off I was told that the speaker baffles would not be able to be done till next week. Fair enough, Christmas rush & all that. First promised to do the work early in the week then Wednesday then Friday then Saturday where no attempt to contact me was made. My question is at what point do all the broken promises turn into outright contempt of his own customers and how does this person intend to make up for all the lies if at all? I will leave you with a question who do you trust?

Attachments

• Celestion CX1512 001.jpg
    Celestion CX1512 001.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 224
Nearly complete
Internal bracing & fine tuning to complete about $600 including driver purchase speaker cable, brass feet, paint, ports, Mundorf caps, router bits, workshop donations petrol phone calls etc. Will upload pics of the not so pro but quite OK boxes when complete. Ended up being a far more enjoyable & interesting journey than farming the work out

Cheers thermo

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.