MA speakers for a 28 X 40 room?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a friend who would like a 4-speaker set up for his shop. It is 28' x 40' and has an 8' ceiling. No carpet or fabric furniture to speak of. His budget is somewhat tight, $250, for 4 speakers. How would four CHR-70's or four CHP-70's (gen. 2) work in this type of room? He wants the speakers for background music and for entertaining. I figure he'd need a sub for bass in a room that size, but from what I've seen, the MA speakers seem to offer the most bang for the buck.
Thanks,
Mike

I have a friend who would like a 4-speaker set up for his shop. It is 28' x 40' and has an 8' ceiling. No carpet or fabric furniture to speak of. His budget is somewhat tight, $250, for 4 speakers. How would four CHR-70's or four CHP-70's (gen. 2) work in this type of room? He wants the speakers for background music and for entertaining. I figure he'd need a sub for bass in a room that size, but from what I've seen, the MA speakers seem to offer the most bang for the buck.
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,
4 X CHR70's will provide good background music. There's little to be gained by a sub in this type of service condition (especially given the tight budget).
Thanks
Mark.

Big room alright (1120 ft^2) - when you say "shop" do you mean commercial / retail store?

As Mark says the smaller drivers would be fine for background levels, but I'd imagine it would be fairly easy to step on the gas a bit too much - particularly while entertaining - only to find exactly where the excursion limits are.

Within the Mark Audio line I'd be inclined to try to squeeze a bit more out of the budget "decider" - Madisound currently has Silver A10.2s on sale at $80 (who knows for how long).

Big room alright (1120 ft^2) - when you say "shop" do you mean commercial / retail store?

As Mark says the smaller drivers would be fine for background levels, but I'd imagine it would be fairly easy to step on the gas a bit too much - particularly while entertaining - only to find exactly where the excursion limits are.

Within the Mark Audio line I'd be inclined to try to squeeze a bit more out of the budget "decider" - Madisound currently has Silver A10.2s on sale at $80 (who knows for how long).

Thanks for the info Chris. The shop is a personal workshop. It's a second story to a garage he built. After Mark's response, I recommended the Sten II speakers from Madisound. I'd recommend the A10.2s if he's willing to go a few more dollars. I saw the sale at Madisound and couldn't resist, so I ordered a pair for myself. I have a pair of CHP-70.2s that were on sale a while back and I'm sold on Markaudio drivers. Now, my dilemma is what cabinet for them...
Thanks again for the info.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.